Halloween/ Camden Town


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Camden Town
November 7th 2008
Published: November 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The English adults do not celebrate Halloween. Only the kids dress up, usually for school or trick-or-treating. That's it. For one night, us American's caused a ruckus and celebrated halloween. The BUNAC program rented a club and threw us Americans a halloween party. The people I work with were very interested in the fact that I was going to go out and find my halloween costume, not just rent one.
Getting dressed up and getting ready with the girls in the hostel was a lot of fun. Alyse and I dressed up as "Risky Business" or Tom Cruise from Risky Business. The costume consisted of a man's dress shirt, boxers, socks, and sunglasses. It was prettty chilly outside but the costume worked well in the hot club. I loved the sunglasses as well.
The Sunday after Halloween we went to the Camden Town Market. Sunday is definitely a market day in London. Camden Town is a section of London that is punky. I'm pretty sure the requirement to live there is at least one tattoo, one piercing outside the ears, and a hair color(s) that are found somewhere in the rainbow. All the shops are funky, with eccentric outfits and shoes, everything neon. No suprise Camden Town used to be the slums before the Camden Town Lock was put in in the 1800's. This is where the market is located.
The market is actually open everyday with all sorts of stalls with random "bits and bots" and other handmade items such as jewelry. There are also the common London souveniors that are found everywhere like scarves and hats. At one point we wandered into the horse market which, back in the day, used to be a horse hospital and has since been converted into more market stalls. This area was geared toward antiques and a lot of junk. It was fun to wander around.
Only on Sundays the Camden Market has an international food market. There were stalls with everything from Mexican, Argentinian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, African, etc. I got a mexican fajita and a French crepe (with nutella and strawberries of course). The food was delicious and the crepe was most definitely the messiest thing i've ever eaten.
At the end of a successful market trip, I only walked away with sunglasses and a locket.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Camden Town st.Camden Town st.
Camden Town st.

Punky shops and crazy market stalls


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb