English country fairs and tea time!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Gloucestershire
July 9th 2006
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello to everyone we are in England!
Actually we've been in England for a while now... Since the 4th, Tuesday night. We took a flight from Athens and got picked up at London Luton by my Aunt Teresa.
So first in Devizes, right near Bath... Was wonderful. Teresa was a very gracious host, lots of food in the fridge, very comfy beds, my cousin Josh showed us around, it was great.
We went to Stonehenge, which is right near their place. Beautiful sight, right off one of the roads. Pretty funny that this is regular scenery for them. We got in on a student discount (thank god) and got a free audio guide with that to learn about the sight. We came out feeling full of new knowledge! Wonderful and wonderous to think of how those stones got to there and why there?? One of the great mysteries....
We went to another stone circle right near there, Avebury, one that is quite a bit bigger and you can walk around. There is a town in the middle of it, or village rather. Lots of sheep and cows around the stones, pretty funny. It was rock spectatingly and shit dodgingly good fun!
Teresa also arranged a BBQ with a few old friends of the family over there, so it was great to see everyone, each good food, and drink lovely wine!

Now we are at another family friend's, Authur and Heather's. Contacts of mom from her college days. They live on a deer farm. Let me tell you this is English countryside at its best! We took a walk around the property... or some of it, its huge! Saw lots of the deer, again so many, and other fields that are rented to other companies. Pretty cool that this place was taken over during WW2 and then bought back afterwards... needless to say there are lots of interesting military buildings still intact, so that definatley suits Daniels military fancy to a tee. Went to a country fair today with lots of things about animals and farming. Lots of crafts and shows, great fun! Lots to see. We also went to the Polo field that the princes play at (sadly they weren't there....), quite a regal place, and also went for a drive through one of the Duke's hunting grounds (no one hunting right now...). Authur is quite a big noise with the royals (little did I know, and he is very unassuming). Helps out with the estates with a few of the big names (though not the BIGGEST names, I don't think). So we got free backstage access to a wonderful forest (access with a key to a gate inside and out) to frolick like the royals do... Except we didn't have horses... so we tried our best with the car.
Here we have the best living arrangements... though we think its the best if we get a comfy bed! We are in an apartment off the side of one of the houses! Comfiest bed ever, own bathroom (I had a bath this morning!), and we even get a kitchen. Heather is so hospitable, my goodness its better than a hotel in here. Wonderful meals, she has put some fruit and tea and bread in our kitchen (no idea when we are going to eat it... leave it for the next people minus some grapes and a few tea bags), she even has put a vase of roses in our bedroom! I couldn't have imagined all the great things she has done for us. Amazing. I was literally speachless when we walked into the room. She does this AND her parents are visiting too and she just seems so happy to have everyone around. Crazy stuff really (her parents are lovely people to chat with too.), we are getting a great English countryside experience.

Tomorrow we are off to Birmingham to see my Grandma Joan. She has a wonderful king size bed that we are very excited about. Lots of plans for fun things and activities in the big city. We are going to a show on Tuesday and to some historical sights as well. Hopefully we'll get some time to see more cousins and aunts and uncles as well. I'm sure we'll have a great time. These are the last people Dan needs to impress! The grand English family that lots have heard about and not very many people have actually met. Dan gets the grand jury to give him the yay or nay, I'm sure they'll love him too though. So far he is doing very well!

Anyways I should sign off now, time for bed as we need to get into the car tomorrow morning for our trip north.
love to one and all,
robyn and dan

PS we have uploaded photos from Sorrento to Athens/Delphi. Enjoy!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb