Last night in the UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Essex » Harlow
October 2nd 2012
Published: October 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Six Days of sightseeing and travelling

Gradually learning more and more about this travel blogging. Have added the last six days worth of travel to the map, starting in the Lakes District and finishing in Harlow which is where we are now. Unfortunately the route which gets drawn on the map above is only 'as the crow flys'. I am returning the hire car tomorrow with an additional 2500 miles (4000kms) from when we picked it up 13 days ago. We didnt realise the UK was so big or perhaps we spent more time lost than we realised! :)

Last blog from the UK. Leaving tomorrow at 3:00pm on the Eurostar to Paris then changing onto a night train which will get us to Oktoberfest (I mean Munich) by about 7:00am.

Anyway since the last entry we have travelled through The Lakes District with Alan and Deborah kindly offering to be our tour guides once again. We stopped off at a remote and great little pub called 'Wasdale Head Inn"

We then continued on to Hardknott Pass, and then Wrynose Pass. Ive attached a link to a website with some details on it here , incase anyone is interested. But they are two very narrow winding roads over some very remote country. Fortunately the hire car survived.

We went to a great Italian Restaurant "La Fattoria" for dinner with Alan and Deborah in Chester. It was a great evening with great food and great company. The next morning we said goodbye to Alan and Debora as we headed off to Ellesmere Port and then onto the North Western part of Wales, taking the kids on a tour of the Underground Hydo Electric plant and Snowy Mountain Railway in Llanberis we then overnighted in Caernarfon.

I thought we had seen the end of the windy roads but the next day was spent driving from North Wales down to Merthytydfil and Deri and visited the Millhouse and met Ugo and Gwenda who now live there. Due to some Bikie Ride though the area we could'nt get accomodation so travelled to PontyPool to sleep.

The next morning we went to the "Big Pit" Coal Mine, Wales largest underground coal mine, the tour included going underground which the kids enjoyed greatly.

From here we drove to Stonehenge (only getting lost once on the way) Stonehenge was much bigger than I can remember and a very impressive site.

We then continued nearer to Legoland where we had been fortunate to get some last minute tickets which included a nights accomodation at the Crown Plaza near Heathrow which was a step up (actually quite a few steps up) from the usual Travelodge accomadation. The kids and I found time to have a swim and we all had a lovely dinner.

Legoland.....finally.....Lots of lego and fun rides. The wet weather was back, but it was not too bad and we seemed to get wetter on the water rides than we did from the rain. Once we were 'kicked out' of Legoland we drove to Harlow.

Today we spent some additional time with Roy Frost, who kindly helped out by providing a washing machine and helping with posting back some excess backage we seemed to have already accumulated, apparently you cannot post your own children through the mail system!

Im hoping tomorrow morning to have time to upload some new photos.

All the best,

Darren, Tanya, Carolyn, Hayley and John.

PS Apologies for the length of this blog

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0878s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb