TMW - Mires Pool to Dunstone


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon
April 21st 2022
Published: April 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

After a sound sleep we woke to a pretty pink sky and noted the wind had picked up a bit; luckily we had an old stone building to duck behind to cook without issue and the wind helped dry the tent out quickly so all was good.

An easy, known, downward stroll to ivybridge (via some viewpoint tops) and of course we popped into a cafe for some brunch which was delicious. After picking up supplies for tonight and tomorrow morning we headed back to the trail; having technically completed the TMW marked paths, we now followed the river Erme signs for a lovely sunny stroll along the river( feet aching over the harder / rocky paths though!).

Sloping up away from the river, we then ignored the signed path turning right towards Dunstone, to walk on a busy road, in a hot sun, to reach our final campsite (south Devon wild camping). You can imagine then that we were a little confused to find the official pin on the maps is not where this site is…it is in fact another 20mins down a quieter road & bridle path and is actually a grand looking manner estate with neatly cut grass, lakes, and horses & stables (brownstone farm & manner), with the people we met on the way down all assuming we were lost and not knowing about any camping here.

The lady we had been in contact with (daughter-in-law of the estate owner) however, did then pull up and explain where to pitch and the toilets, saying her plans of allowing camping and maybe in the future weddings (when she has more control over the land!) She did not appear to be a regular camper though, not seeming phased the grass was sloped, a toilet in a stable ages away from
the field and that the shower they say they have on the website is not actually up & running yet; but what’s another day without showering eh?!

Odd but interesting, and we are now pitched on a flattish bit next to a pretty lake, lying in the sun with swans and geese to keep us entertained. (23.25km and 257m elevation done). One more night, then tomorrow we head to Wembury and finish the Two Moors Way. Exciting!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb