Torquay (Easter weekend)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Torquay
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunset torquay styleSunset torquay styleSunset torquay style

We just caught the sunset when we were heading out to dinner. Gorgeous! that's all I can say
Well everyone easter weekend has passed and Kevin and I went exploring Torquay (Devon). After 8 months of living in the Midlands and not seeing the sea I was missing it terribly and what a fantastic time we had. It was beautiful! the weather was stunning our hotel was over looking the sea and only metres away from the town centre, what more could you ask for?

We travelled down on the Friday night arriving late as Kevin had to work most of the day, luckily the traffic wasn't too hectic. Our hotel was on a steep hill right on the edge of a cliff over looking the water... when you walked in the main doors there was a huge chandaler over hanging a large round table with the biggest bunch of flowers. The hallway to our room had really crecky floors and the room was very grand, big old dark wood furniture, it wasn't my cup of tea as I like more modern styles. But it was still very lovely and the staff were extra friendly. In the morning as part of our accomodation we had breakfast and as soon as you walked into the dining room it
Torquay marinaTorquay marinaTorquay marina

I can't get enough of it.
was breathtaking, there were large windows from floor to ceiling with views of the sea, it was like a picture. It definitely made eating breakfast alot more enjoyable and relaxing.

First day - Saturday - SHOPPING! Kevin's nightmare, but it was an absolutely gorgeous day, the sun was out, people were walking around in shorts, skirts & t-shirts. You could see the harbour/marina/sea in all it's glory, walking along the docks. Didn't buy too much, a few tops for me, some flip flops and a hat for Kevin. The rest of the afternoon we sat on these big chairs, (more like a big flat low table that you could lie on) and soaked up the sun while staring out at the sea. After heading back to our room to freshen up we headed out at sunset to find somewhere to eat, and boy was there lots of choice. We ended up being lucky enough to get into an Italian restaurant that served the most gorgeous food! I had this pizza enclosed thing that was VERY tasty!!

Second day - Sunday - Sightseeing. Our hotel had a pathway to access the beach or see the view from the top
Us againUs againUs again

Kevin trying to keep his eyes open with the sun beaming in his eyes. Me with a cheesy grin
of a cliff. We followed this path that lead to an amazing view over the whole of Torquay bay (as you will see with me in a photo) it was stunning. After staring out to sea and taking in the view we headed into town again with the idea of doing some touristy things. After alot of talking and viewing of the information centre we ended up on a small train that takes you around torquay (I had seen this on Saturday and wanted to go on it) we found out once we got on it though that half the places we went we had already seen when we went walking on Saturday... but we did end up spotting a market and some beautiful gardens that were further around the dock. Of course once we had finished our train ride we walked along to find the markets filled with accessories and different foods - fruit, vegies, pancakes, sweets, alsorts! there were flags of the different countries were the food came from. One lady asked if she could try a strawberry and the guy serving couldn't speak English at all, just french. It felt like I was in a different country!
Torquay marinaTorquay marinaTorquay marina

Isn't it gorgeous?
I came across the turkish stall and of course had to buy turkish delights, yummy! That night we headed out for dinner and came across a restaurant based around a caribbean feel, really bright colours inside, cocktails, one complete wall painted as a beach, very cosy! The staff were really friendly and the food great! I had to have a pinacalada (not sure on spelling, hehe) to get into the feel of things of course! After dinner Kevin and I went for a stroll around the docks, it was just as beautiful as during the day, with all the lights reflecting on the water. We went and laid on the big benches looking up at the sky it was the perfect ending to our last night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Torquay marinaTorquay marina
Torquay marina

Perfect day for sightseeing and SHOPPING!
Torquay marinaTorquay marina
Torquay marina

This was only a one minute walk away from our hotel.
Torquay townTorquay town
Torquay town

That's where the shopping was done.
GardenGarden
Garden

I really liked this little garden, fountain thing, it was pretty.
Looking out Looking out
Looking out

Kevin and I staring out to sea.
Torquay by nightTorquay by night
Torquay by night

This was when we were heading out to dinner, and walking along the marina.... awww how romantic!
Torquay beachTorquay beach
Torquay beach

More water
Torquay beachTorquay beach
Torquay beach

This was a little walk that Kevin and I went on, it was only a few minutes from our hotel and the view was breathtaking as you can see.
Cheesy pic!Cheesy pic!
Cheesy pic!

Kevin and I just sitting around near the water trying to get a bit of a tan.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb