UK TOUR - DAYS 7-9


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Launceston
August 31st 2023
Published: September 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Day 7 - Today has turned a little miserable weatherwise - rainy, foggy, cold - so slight change to our plans. Headed to Padstow, best known for Rick Stein, everything is his, from restaurants, cafes, deli's....etc. Great village on the river, which has massive tides. Had lunch in the pub and then off to our next destination of Port Isaac. Now for those who watch the ABC television series, Doc Martin, this is actually Port Wenn in the show. Photos around the tiny laneway's and in front of Doc Martins television home. A casual drive home through the fields and tiny laneway's, and as I was driving today, a little challenging with having to reverse back into a wider point or driveway as other vehicles approached.

Day 8 - Another lazy start to the day, heading out to Buckland Abbey, home to Sir Francis Drake from 1581. The Abbey was built in 1278, and to roam around this place where monks & Knights walked was surreal to say the least. Back into the car and onto Plymouth, a visit to the Mayberry Steps where the Pilgram Fathers departed for America in 1620. Along the harbour walk watching the vehicular ferries depart for Spain, France and wherever else they head. We drove back home before having dinner at The Old Inn at St Breward, built in the 15th Century for monks initially, this place is an old world experience. The place was packed for a Friday evening. Wonderful menu, great food and company.

Day 9 - Out into the narrow country lanes again today with me driving and Andy directing where to go, pulling over to let oncoming traffic pass, through beautiful countryside and into Fowey, another quaint seaside village with a famous resident, Dawn French, walked past her home along the seaside cliff. We spent time watching the sail boats and luxury speed boats head off to the ocean. Time to move onto another seaside village around the coast to the south, Mevagissey, smaller than Fowey, but just as interesting with plenty of trawlers, water taxi's and charter boats moving around. For me, a snack of a Cornish Pasty before heading back home. So...sitting on the deck now watching the sun lower over the fields, very warm and humid here today, almost time for a Gin & Tonic, no shortage of that in this country!


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



2nd September 2023

We used to camp at Mevagissey when I was very young (a lonnnng time ago)😉
3rd September 2023

Mevagissey
Terry, I bet its changed a bit since then. It was very warm yesterday and last weekend of school holidays, so people, kids & dogs everywhere. Had to queue to get a pasty!

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb