UK TOUR - DAYS 10-12


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Glastonbury
September 4th 2023
Published: September 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Day 10 - A quiet day with a short 25 mile drive to Cawsand & Kingsand on the coast just south of Plymouth. We enjoyed a nice stroll around the beach side walk, as the day was hot at 29C there were plenty of last minute locals swimming before school holidays end tomorrow. Back to St Neot for a late lunch at the London Inn in the village. A quick visit to yet another 15th century Church before heading home to watch the F1 Italian Grand Prix.

Day 11 - Angela & I left Pat & Andy this morning for a few days exploring on our own. We headed to Bideford for the first stop, a relaxing walk around this village. From here around to Ilfracombe, a relaxing walk around the ocean side cliffs, then back into the village to see a rather unsual sculpture. The rather confronting sculpture is called Verity, a 20 metre piece that stands on the entrance to Ilfracombe Harbour, representing Truth & Justice. Off to Mineside on the Southern side of the Bristol Channel, didn't stop but the town looked like we could have spent a hour here, but running a little behind time, we thought it best to take a direct route to Glastonbury. Two nights here so tomorrow will be a big day of seeing all the historic sights of Glastonbury.

Day 12 - In Glastonbury today for a good walk around the town area, full of ancient history and a town of alternative lifestyle people. A combination of old Bryon Bay, Nimbin, Mullumbimby, old Noosa & similar. Walking into the Town Centre we were greeted with plenty of incense wafting on the breeze, country markets, purple pants, dreadlocks & plenty of religion & Coven shops. We walked to The Tor, basically a big old stone Tower on a big hill.....but has a lot of historical significance....the walk up the hill nearly killed me! So now I'm on a health kick.....DO NOT WALK UP BIG HILLS! Back into town for a visit to Glastonbury Abbey, amazing place complete with King Arthurs tomb....apparently...but I'll believe it. The Monks found it and Genevieve's tomb, so you have to trust a Monk! A stop at the The Chalice Well, where peace and tranquility reign, a very quiet place, with Holy Water from the Well & the Yew Trees. From here down into St John's Baptist Church to listen to a jazz duo playing. A little different I must say. So, time for lunch, so off to Beckerts Inn, where the service in non existent, the Cider is poured from the cask on the counter (read 'room temperature'), and the beer garden is a total mess....I'm unimpressed you'll see! A single sip of Cider, left the rest on the counter and off to another Inn for a decent cold Thather's Gold cider & a great feed of Bangers and Mash! Back at the motel now and ready for a good rest before heading off to the next stop tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb