17. Four weddings and a Football Match; our Summer 2007


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire » Wirral
September 12th 2007
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

With Bill BrysonWith Bill BrysonWith Bill Bryson

At Durham University's 175 year celebrations, September 2007.
(N&P) - although punctuated by some great social occasions, our summer has mostly involved going through all the stuff that we brought up from Twickenham, sorting out photos from the last few years, and planning the next part of our travels. In Nick's case, a typical day generally began with watching Ironside kick some 70's butt (not literally), and Paula generally had her nose buried in some papers from the past few years from morn till night! Our celebrity moment was meeting Bill Bryson at Durham Uni's 175th anniversary celebrations, at the end of Summer in September, see right.


Thurs 26th July to Weds 1st Aug -
We spent the Friday, my first full day back from South America, filling in umpteen visa application forms to enable us to get into the less-open nations in the east. The following day, we drove up to the north east for the wonderful wedding of university friend Richie to Natalie. Following the heavy rain of days previous, the skies were bright, the service good, meal great, and in the evening the newlyweds treated us to tango dancing and la rumba.
On Monday, several of us headed off to Whitby for a seaside
Mr and Mrs FawcettMr and Mrs FawcettMr and Mrs Fawcett

Natalie and Richie to their mates
experience, after which Paula & I headed to Allan & Kelly's for a few days. We made a day-trip to Berwick-upon-Tweed up the road, whose city walls were interesting to walk around. We ate well in the evenings, with Kelly cooking scallops, and a visit to the local curry house. Paula practised her caipirinha skills, and we also gave the Macallan whisky a good going over.
During that time, we drove to visit Paula's uni friend Lynne and husband Toshi nearby, and their daughters Alisa & Amy - it was enjoyable to catch up with them & read stories of Horrible Henry to the girls!


Thurs 2nd to Weds 8th Aug -
We had a night with Paula's Aunt Maureen in Middlesbrough - a fantastic roast dinner was just what was needed after South America! - followed by an evening stroll along the coast. On Friday, we went to Swindon to visit Josh, going out for an Italian and returning for more Macallan. Early the next morning, we set off to Oxfordshire for the wedding of Nick's mate from school Andy to Jo-Anne. One of the hottest days of the year made it an event to remember, and
Mr & Mrs FawcettMr & Mrs FawcettMr & Mrs Fawcett

Getting snookered
Andy's dad officiated the service, which made it extra special. Andy and Jo-Anne entered the marquee for the wedding brekfast to the music of the Rockford Files, which is the tune that Tranmere Rovers run out to at home games at Prenton Park, this was a great idea - Nick wishes he had thought of it for our wedding last year!! It was really good to see Dan & Mark for the first time in ages too.
The following morning, we stopped off at Blenheim Palace for a sunny picnic lunch on the banks of the river, and caught up with Nick's school friend Adam on the way back.
On Tuesday, we had a 'Spa Day' which was a wedding present from one of Paula's Japanese friends. This involved some gentle gym exercise followed by some leisurely swimming and a soak in the jacuzzi, plus a facial/back massage - exciting stuff!


Thurs 9th to Weds 15th Aug
Nick went to visit the other Nick (who came to visit in Brazil) for a day of swopping photos & a film session, centred around This is Spinal Tap, which we had been planning to watch for about 10 years. It
Girls having funGirls having funGirls having fun

At Richie & Natalie's wedding (Paula, Liz and Elly)
lived up to expectations, and a pizza & beer capped off a good evening.
The following day we went to Tranmere versus Leeds, where Nick's Aunt Suzie & Uncle Chris had got us tickets in the Players' Lounge (as well as a mention on the scoreboard for our anniversary! And our photo was in the match programme). The match started encouragingly, seeing us go 1-0 ahead, but finished in disappointment at 2-1 to Leeds. However, if we play like that throughout the season, we should do well. That night, our anniversary present from the the folks was a great dinner out in Liverpool.
On the 12th itself, we walked to Hilbre Island, a sandstone island around 2km over the sand from the Wirral coast (when the tide is out). There was an alehouse there in the 17th century, but - alas - no more. The weather was good, although it got quite blustery on the points facing the coast.
Later in the week, we met Heather & Andrew 'Halifax' Heaton for lunch over in Liverpool, in a vegan cafe (Mr Egg) recommended by Nick's brother-in-law Cevan; the cheese on toast (with extra beans & pulses) was pretty good.

The gang in WhitbyThe gang in WhitbyThe gang in Whitby

Kelly, Paula, Allan, Andrew; 2 random chancers; Elly, Liz, Jackie & Simon.

Thurs 16th to Mon 20th Aug
Back to Josh's in Swindon on Friday, this time to see wife Katie and son Thomas (Nick's godson). We were fortunate with the weather, Josh had set up a BBQ and a couple of times some droplets fell before the clouds moved on! The following morning, it was Thomas' 1st birthday, so we had present-opening time before we headed off to the wedding of Jesse, our friend from Durham, to Helen. Although the weather was not behaving itself, we had a great time with fab food and a disco that was very hard to leave.
The next day, Jesse and Helen had organised a Hog Roast at Helen's parents' house - this was the best pork we have ever eaten, so tender and flavoursome, and Martine had also baked a celebratory chocolate cake that was so rich and pure that there was hardly any flour used - the best choc cake Nick had ever tasted (and pretty high up on Paula's list too!). To top it off, Jesse had managed to get his hands on a barrel of real ale for the party, so it was a really top day for food & drink.
That evening in London, we met up with Paula's dad John which was really nice as it has been a while, and showed him our 200 South American photos! Afterwards we enjoyed a visit to see Paula's sister and her husband Goshi, before going to stay overnight at Breda and Sean's house, parents of Paula's friend Michelle. They made us feel very at home. The following morning, we met Paula's great uncle Michael before Nick headed off back to the Wirral to 'sort his life out'...

Tues 21st to Tues 28th Aug...mainly consisting of emptying his old bedroom and chucking out half the stuff, as well as trawling through five years' worth of loose photos - about 3000!

Paula's week was more interesting:
...in the sense that she was also sorting her life out trawling through a roomfull of stuff but located slightly nearer the Big Smoke.
I was willed on by the thought of the day's dinner of traditional Irish bacon and cabbage at Breda & Sean's - I can report it lived up to expectations. Then to my Mum's best friend, Gill's to catch up and recount tales of yore - Gill wins the prize for
Flying high...Flying high...Flying high...

Paula and Alisa
most enthusiastic viewer of our travel photos so far! Wednesday spent with little sis and her husband Goshi, on the cusp of buying a flat, so much 3-piece suite and curtains talk was had, finishing off with dinner at my childhood favourite, the Harvester. Thursday to Louise's for a chatty lunch (I know, who would imagine?!) and to join in her relaxing following the completion (yeah!) of her tough course of study. Friday was random indeed. Planned to meet Fionnuala (friend since age six, partner in Irish dancing crime) and Scott for an evening cuzza in Brick Lane. Had some spare time beforehand, (yes, me!) so popped in to the TSE office to say hello. A welcome brew of green tea was quickly followed by the sake being cracked open, then F & S are invited in, and the conversation turns to Kobe beef (as it does). Consequently we ALL then head out for dinner at an alternative venue, the Mayflower Pub near Rotherhithe, which serves delish burgers of the said beef, as well as being the pub from which the Pilgrim Fathers set out to America. Curious.
Saturday was the wedding of my Japanese friend Aki, to her Italian amore, Andy. What a lovely service, and boy what a scorcher (at last).
Sunday I was reunited with my schoolfriends, the afternoon was whiled away as we munched on double choc-choc goodies, then wondered why we felt a bit queasy when we met the others for tapas in Kingston. Nevertheless, 'twas great to catch up again with Charlotte, Melissa, Priya, Maria and Ramona. Always a pleasure.
Final stop was aunt Nonie's in Northampton, the afternoon was spent enjoying the craic in a Guinness-induced haze of fine hospitality.
The tidying-up was then a-calling from the Wirral, to where I headed.


Weds 29th Aug to Weds 5th Sept - more tidying & sorting for both of us. Highlight of the week was going out to Liverpool for dinner with Nick's sister Alex & brother-in-Law Cevan, and brother Ben. A&C had chosen a tapas bar and it was delicious. Big lunch on Sunday too.


Thurs 6 to Weds 12th Sept - we went to visit our friends Caroline & Chris in south Wirral, and enjoyed Caroline's cooking (as always) and the company of them and Mark and Leigh-Ann.
The weekend was spent in Durham to celebrate 175 years since
Mr and Mrs WalkerMr and Mrs WalkerMr and Mrs Walker

Jo-Anne and Andy to their mates
the founding of the university. We met Allan & Kelly, Louise & Pete and Richie & Natalie there, visited our old haunts and ate far too well. Kev and Emma made a day-trip on the Sunday, so we had a really good catch up before we head off again.

The visas were collected by Paula yesterday afternoon, we think we have everything. A big thank you to Nick's folks who helped us in all sorts of ways while we were staying with them, including a delish Christmas dinner this evening.

Hasta luego....


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Sunday lunch by the riverSunday lunch by the river
Sunday lunch by the river

With a plate of food that we were obliged to take with us at the end of the wedding, lest it go to waste :)
BBQ with the EldridgesBBQ with the Eldridges
BBQ with the Eldridges

Josh, Cecilia, Thomas, Paula & Katie
Thomas is 1Thomas is 1
Thomas is 1

Nick got Thomas a Boca Juniors t-shirt from Buenos Aires for his birthday ("Boca who?" said Josh...!)
Room challengeRoom challenge
Room challenge

This is what kept Nick occupied
Mr & Mrs HoneyMr & Mrs Honey
Mr & Mrs Honey

Jesse and Helen to their mates
MartineMartine
Martine

and THAT chocolate cake!
Mr. & Mrs. CeccantiMr. & Mrs. Ceccanti
Mr. & Mrs. Ceccanti

Andy and Aki to their mates
Nick's siblingsNick's siblings
Nick's siblings

Out in Liverpool
Alex & CevanAlex & Cevan
Alex & Cevan

Nick's sister and brother-in-law
Postcard view of Durham CathedralPostcard view of Durham Cathedral
Postcard view of Durham Cathedral

"I got off at Durham... and fell in love with it instantly in a serious way. Why, it's wonderful - a perfect little city.... If you have never been to Durham, go there at once. Take my car. It's wonderful." (Notes from a Small Island)
Grand Reunion DinnerGrand Reunion Dinner
Grand Reunion Dinner

At Grey College
Kev & Emma join the frayKev & Emma join the fray
Kev & Emma join the fray

with Allan & Kelly at the Durham celebrations


19th September 2007

Congrats!
Nice to hear from you Suzie, and well done to Uncle Chris!
19th September 2007

Wedding!
It was fab to see you guys, and hope you enjoyed the picnic.... so that is where all the food went! Thank you Nick for the excellent photos and the book currently doing the rounds in the teachers staffroom. Paula is was wonderful to finally meet you! take care both of you Jo xx
22nd September 2007

Wedding!
Thanks Jo! Hope the family is well (we were assured that it was better to take the platter than leave it!!)

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 84; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb