North Wales, Horseshoe Pass, Conwy and Chester


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire » Chester
September 29th 2018
Published: September 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We had another busy day today as you will see from the pictures. I didn’t have time to make notes today but did copy and paste with info on all that we saw. Tomorrow we will be on the road once again...stay tuned!

Below is info on North Wales:

“North Wales is a region within Wales, a country in the U.K. Snowdonia National Park is a vast, rugged area with waterfalls and trails, including routes up Mount Snowdon. Medieval Conwy Castle has 8 huge towers, plus battlements with sea views. It’s near the resort town of Llandudno, with North Shore Beach. Other castles include 19th-century Penrhyn Castle, with Gothic stairways, and waterside Caernarfon Castle.”

Below is information on Horseshoe Pass from Wikipedia:

“The Horseshoe Pass (Welsh: Bwlch yr Oernant, "Pass of the Cold Stream") is a mountain pass in Denbighshire, north-east Wales. It separates Llantysilio Mountain to the west from the 565 metre (1,854 feet) mountain and Marilyn Cyrn-y-Brain to the east. The A542 roadfrom Llandegla to Llangollen runs through the pass, reaching a maximum height of 417 metres (1,368 ft). The road travels in a horseshoe shape around the sides of a valley, giving the pass its English name.
Glenn Lightfoot Sheep dog exhibition Glenn Lightfoot Sheep dog exhibition Glenn Lightfoot Sheep dog exhibition

Pat B...you would have loved this!


This route dates from 1811, when a turnpikeroad was constructed across the area. As with the rest of the roads in the Clwydian Range, it is not uncommon for sheep to gather in the road, sometimes causing problems for drivers. The road is also frequently closed in winter due to snowfall or landslides.

The Pass is well known for the Ponderosa cafe at its highest point and the scenic views along the road. Both the cafe and the pass itself are extremely popular with cyclists & motorcyclists. There are many walks and routes in the immediate area that are popular with hikers, and there are a number of campsites nearby.”

Below is information on Conwy, North Wales from Wikipedia:

Conwy Castle and the town walls were built, on the instruction of Edward I of England, between 1283 and 1289, as part of his conquest of the principality of Wales. The church standing in Conwy has been marked as the oldest building in Conwy and has stood in the walls of Conwy since the 14th century. However, the oldest structure is part of the town walls, at the southern end of the east side. Here one wall and the tower of Llewellyn the Great's Llys have been incorporated into the wall. Built on a rocky outcrop, with an apsidal tower, it is a classic, native, Welsh build and stands out from the rest of the town walls, due to the presence of four window openings. It dates from the early 13th century and is the most complete remnant of any of his Llys.

People born within the town walls of Conwy in north Wales are nicknamed "Jackdaws", after the jackdaws which live on the walls there. A Jackdaw Society existed until 2011.”

Below is information on Chester, England from Wikipedia:

Chester is a walled city in Cheshire, England, on the River Dee, close to the border with Wales. With a population of 118,200 in 2011,<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference" style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%!;(MISSING) margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; font-size: 0.75em; vertical-align: super; background-image: none; unicode-bidi: isolate; white-space: nowrap; caret-color:𶐎 color:𶐎 -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);"> it is the most populous settlement of Cheshire West and Chester, which had a population of 332,200 in 2014.<sup id="cite_ref-BUA_4-0" class="reference" style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%!;(MISSING) margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; font-size: 0.75em; vertical-align: super; background-image: none; unicode-bidi: isolate; white-space: nowrap; caret-color:𶐎 color:𶐎 -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);"> Chester was granted city status in 1541.

Chester was founded as a "castrum" or Roman fort with the name Deva Victrix in the reign of the Emperor Vespasian in 79 AD. One of the main army camps in Roman Britain, Deva later became a major civilian settlement. In 689, King Æthelred of Mercia founded the Minster Church of West Mercia, which later became Chester's first cathedral, and the Saxons extended and strengthened the walls to protect the city against the Danes. Chester was one of the last cities in England to fall to the Normans. William the Conqueror ordered the construction of a castle, to dominate the town and the nearby Welsh border.

Chester is one of the best preserved walled cities in Britain. It has a number of medieval buildings, but some of the black-and-white buildings within the city centre are Victorian restorations.<sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1; font-size: 0.75em; vertical-align: super; background-image: none; unicode-bidi: isolate; white-space: nowrap;"> Apart from a 100-metre (330 ft) section, the listed Grade I walls are almost complete. The Industrial Revolution brought railways, canals, and new roads to the city, which saw substantial expansion and development – Chester Town Hall and the Grosvenor Museum are examples of Victorian architecture from this period.”


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



30th September 2018

Tour
You are covering a lot of ground. I pulled out Google maps and was surprised how much ground you have covered. I see why you are doing this tour. Would be hard to cover all this on your own. Another beautiful castle and cathedral!
30th September 2018

Yes we have...
I may have answered this already as my WiFi had a glitch and it looked like I lost it. At any rate, yes we have done a lot. This tour company does a very good job covering a lot of ground and we are seeing a lot. With all the driving we did yesterday, I still had over 11,000 steps. We will be leaving for Edinburgh, Scotland after while so it will be another long day. Glad you are enjoying the blog.
1st October 2018

You have to give to these tours. You sure learn a lot about where you are! Paul and I bumble our way around, seeing a historic site if it bites us in the face. Well, no more. We are converts, too, ever since our South America trip.
8th October 2018

Snowdonia
North Wales is another of our favourite places. Our son had in own Post Office in a Welsh-speaking town in Snowdonia (he's English and had to learn the language!), so we know it well. We avoided eating lamb as our Sunday roast lunch though - there are more sheep than people in those parts!

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb