Fryer Monument


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

High cloud / sunny periods at 6am but dire forecast.
Dull by 9am, briefly brightened but persistent showers from early pm.

Realising that I was on a tight schedule because of the promised rain I was on the road soon after 7am. Usual farm landscape - yes, it is becoming a tad monotonous ! More pretty villages including Harlton, the Eversdens and Kingston all a short distance to the west of Cambridge. One downside of this area is the amount of traffic on some of the minor roads that are obviously used as ‘rat-runs’ by commuters and mums on the school run. Can these people not walk / cycle / bus ?

Highlight of the day undoubtedly the Fryer Monument carved in alabaster in 1631. The head and shoulders in the photo attached to this blog is just one small part of an outstanding creation by Maximilian Colt who was the sculptor of the tomb of Elizabeth I in Westminster Abbey. The Fryers’ were a local family of lawyers and doctors who were traditional Catholics at a time when that faith was in effect proscribed. One member of the family was certainly described as a recusant and accused of harbouring priests.

The rain arrived about 1.30pm as promised bringing an early end to my exploration of this part of the county. More rain forecast for the ‘morrow !

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb