Medieval Wall Paintings


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
May 9th 2007
Published: May 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Forecast seems to be early sun followed by cloud and possible showers.
7am - sun in the east, clouds arriving from the west. Draw your own conclusion !

Writing this sitting looking at the rain pouring down. Weather managed to hold up until mid-afternoon when the increasing gloom became intermittent rain followed by heavy showers. Forecast for tomorrow seems to be something of a repeat with a fine start followed by cloud and rain. We shall see.

Working mainly to the west of the city of Cambridge with places visited including Barton, Coton, Comberton and Toft with the highlight undoubtedly the Parish Church of St Peter at Barton. There renovation work in the early twentieth century revealed a significant proportion of the medieval wall paintings that would have graced most churches. Usually depicting scenes from the scriptures or the crusades these are rarely seen today because they were whitewashed either in the sixteenth century during the English Reformation or in the following century during the Commonwealth.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb