A Summery Stroll in the Chilterns


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Buckinghamshire » Wendover
June 23rd 2012
Published: June 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Chequers Welcome to Chequers Welcome to Chequers

They said to no entry, but nobody said no exit
One of the benefits of having done the odd hike over the past few years with organised groups is not just getting out and see beautiful and remote parts of the UK, but also the people you meet. The added bonus of having hikers as friends is they organise hikes and you just get to go along. When Klaus sent an invite to a social day-hike in the Chilterns, a designated area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB - it even has it's own acronym) I had to say yes.

The Chilterns is a wonderful mosaic of hills, fields, hedges, woods and lanes criss crossed with bridlepaths and walking tracks. Our route for the day was a 10.5mile circular route from Wendover (handly little railway carpark only £3.50 all day Saturday) which made use of parts of the Ridgeway National Trail, looped around Chequers (the PM's country estate), took us through charming places such as Pulpit Wood and up and down all five hills (Bacombe, Coombe, Whiteleaf, Pulpit and Beacon Hill) on the route to enjoy stunning views across the English countryside.

The hardest part of the walk was working out which walking trail to follow as there are so many rights-of-way markers, but Klaus' handy map reading (with a little GPS assistance) had us move around the route in good time ensuring we had time to fit in a nice pub lunch.

A link to the route: http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_b/1717/

Jane x


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ChequersChequers
Chequers

the official country residence of the PM
Car at the pub Car at the pub
Car at the pub

Now you know we were country!


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb