More from the front


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Windsor
May 22nd 2008
Published: May 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Not a very good pictureNot a very good pictureNot a very good picture

Of the Long walk to George and his horse. It's a long way.
We've been here for just over a week, but it feels like much more than that. Our job hunt has begun in earnest - Mon is rocking the web with her business acumen while I stare blankly at a computer. I find searching fo jobs on the web singularly dispiriting due to the lack of interaction - it's you vs the screen. If I see the words 'implement' and 'deliver' in the same sentence again I may give it all up and become a nun...

No pressure, though - we are happily ensconced in the Eton Manor, the jet lag has worn off and we are enjoying the weather here (I kid you not!). Our jobhunting is punctuated by walks along the Thames or in Windso Great Park; the latter a public piece of Crown land dominated by the eponymous castle at one end and a large George III on a horse at the other. If you ignore the big aluminium birds in the sky you could be one or two hundred years ago... Deer roam freely in this park, which is much greener than we expected.

Unfortunately, Windsor has a huge tourist population, dominated by hordes of baying French teenagers. We made the beginner's mistake of going into a cake shop, where a phenomenal sum was charged for microscopic tarts by teenagers with all the socal graces of snot. To their credit, they tasted good (the tarts).

What of the English, you ask? They talk funny, and indeed the variety of accents is bewildering. At one point, we were sitting on a bus when I overheard (not that I could avoid it) a conversation being held by 3 black girls, each of whom seemed to be competently manipulating 2 cell phones. At first, I was convinced they weren't speaking English, but after catching snippets that were unmistakably anglophonic, I sat there with a pleasantly befuddled look on my face. We had truly arrived...

The Etonians have not provided such linguistic pyrotechnics - mostly I understand what they're saying... We are still baffled at the sight of midgets in tails (the uniform here) and have frequent moments of 'Jeez we're lucky'. It's a lovely feeling.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

River and CastleRiver and Castle
River and Castle

Respectively, Thames and Windsor


Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb