Slacking in Kiev


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Kiev
July 15th 2012
Published: July 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

With a quiet room, good beds and some sleeping debt from our train ride we slept late. Johanna was the early bird and went out before me to do some shopping, while I prioritised my pillow over the womens wear shops she was going to visit. When I finally got up I went for brunch at a nearby restaurant (soup and bread for 1,5€!) and then we met up with Johanna at the Independence square.

We took the metro a few stations north and went down to Dnipro to look around. This side of the river didn't however look very inviting, so we quite quickly went away from the river and found ourselves some coffee, and after this we went to St. Andrews Descent, a curvy street leading from the lower town to the upper town. Here was a museum called "One street museum" which we wanted to see, telling about people who have lived in the different houses of the street and about how it have evolved from middle ages to modern day.

We then climbed the descent, and while looking through all the art and souvenir shops we realized we wanted something small to eat. We bought some snacks and some local beer and sat down in a park under a pear tree for a small picknick. As the pear tree had pears we also picked some to extend our picknick with, they were maybe a little raw, but still tasted good. Refreshed by the food we returned to St. Andrews descent to look at the church on the upper end of the street, especially the view over the city from around the church was very nice!

We returned to the independence square and from there went searching for a building called the Chimera building that our guidebook promised to be "Gaudi-like". Regrettably this was an overstatement, it was a quite ordinary looking house with some fancy garogyles and other monsters decorating its roof. As we were getting quite hungry we went back to the same restaurant where we both had eaten breakfast. Again we got much for our money, for a more food than we could eat we payed 3,5€ per person! As we still felt tired we then went back to our hostel to sleep, we had an early wake up as we were going to apply for transit visas from the Belarussian embassy early next morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb