Kyiv Cave Monastry


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Kiev
August 29th 2021
Published: August 29th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Kyiv Cave Monastery from a distance looks like a standard Orthodox Church but it is built on top of a huge and very complex system of narrow underground tunnels.

In the 11th century, an orthodox monk Anthony founded the monastery searching for solitude in the Ukrainian wilderness. He excavated a cave within the hillside where he lived a modest life. One by one monks began to join him and a community evolved.



The complex is split into two parts. One above ground and one below. The caves were the beginning of a detailed excavation in which monks created a labyrinth of underground caves and catacombs.

We were unable to go inside the caves but Olga had a recording on her iPad which she was able to show us.

What an amazing experience to be able to see inside these caves, the relics & bodies of mummified Monks, they did not decay which makes believers consider the dead monks Saints. The composition of climate and air had preserved the bodies and although covered with cloth, they could still be viewed through the glass coffins.



So many beautiful buildings within this complex, All-Saints Church
was built by Hetman Ivan Mazepa in 1696, as show by Olga on a local currency banknote. We were also able to briefly go inside one of the churches.

This certainly was an interesting tour and at the end of the Olga produced her familiar book of wisdom and read out today’s words of wisdom.



https://www.heygo.com/olgamarvelouskyiv


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement











28th September 2021

I have been to the Monastery of Kyiv and Pechersk its amazing architecture I enjoyed it. It's a good thing I was able to visit this monastery before my trip to Berlin. I also enjoyed visiting cathedrals in Germany. I travel around Europe by train and I liked the train system in Germany. You can just go to https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/ . And see where you go by train from where you can get on the train at what time is very convenient. Also, I liked the quality and technology of the furniture in the cabin of the train when I was traveling from Berlin to Cologne got quite a modern train set. I just want to say one thing to travel around Germany on the train It is much cheaper than on your transport and you can see more.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb