Tuesday 9th August - Leaving Paris and onto Swiss Alps!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
August 9th 2011
Published: August 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

The waterfall we looked at when we opened our tents!
Up nice and early to have brekkie at 7.45am (as you can imagine there were some very sick looking people!) then had to pack up ready to leave at 9.00am. Steve and I were one of the first ones packed up so we managed to avoid the rain, but not all were so lucky!
It was a long day driving today, we arrived in Lauterbrunnen at about 6pm. Not a lot to share because we spent most of the day on the bus doing not a lot. We had a 15-30 minute stop every 2-2.5 hours which was nice for a bit of fresh air (our bus really smells already... imagine what it will be like after 34 days!).
Driving through France was alright but when we hit Switzerland and the Swiss Alps... WOW! No words can truly describe the beauty of it as silly as that may sound. It reminded Steve and I of Wanaka. When we arrived at about 6pm we did the usual pitching of the tent village. A small group of us wandered into town (not that anything was open) and had a look around. Back for tea and just before we were about to eat it
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Megan, Charlie, Blair, Carla, Tim, Steve and I by a stream
started raining... again! We were lucky because Lauterbrunnen is also one of the stops for TopDeck Hostels trip so they have a permanent tent with tables and chairs set up – we were able to go in there for tea (which was hamburgers with 'camping style' apple crumble for dessert). Switzerland are very strict about noise levels so at 10.30pm we moved to the bar that the campsite had – the 'young ones' who stayed up the night before went to bed soon after that then us 'older ones' stayed and danced the night away (Noone really drunk much because 1 beer cost 6 Swiss Francs which is about $12 NZD!). By the end of the night we even had our Tour leader, tour cook and tour driver up on the dance floor... It was brilliant!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb