Engleberg day 3, Griffith


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Engelberg
May 24th 2009
Published: May 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, May 24 was the day we went to the cheese factory in Seelis, Switzerland. Our tour giude was Hans who was the fourth generation to be apart of the cheese making process. What was neat about his business was he specialized in only making cheese and no other dairy products unlike his father who when in charged did so. What threw me off about his cheese products were that he used raw milk and not pastorized milk. Also, he stays local with his business meaing that he only uses farmers in his town which there are only 16 farmers with a combined 200 cows. My favorite part about the tour was at the end of the session we got to drink homemade apple juice that was made by the farmers that had no perservatives. The dairy in the Swiss culture is very important because everyone depends on one another. For example, the costmer depends on the cheese factories to make the cheese. The cheese factory in this case depended on the local farmers for use of there cows to make to chesse. The famers depend on the chesse factory to make cheese as well so then get money from the use of their cows. It is a cycle of dependence. Then after leaving the cheese facoty we headed to Lucerne for a tour around the town. When we got there we met up with Doris our tour guide who was absolutley wonderful because she knew everything about the town and did not skip a beat. She showed and explained to us about the Chapel bridge and how part of it burned down. Then we walked around and saw that Lucerne had four differnt parts of the city. I thought the man painted in all white was the coolest part of the day because he did the axe em' jack sign. Lucerne in my opinon was best out of all three I have visted so far. The reason for this is because it was not as crowded as Zurich but not as small as Engleberg. As a tourist I thought it was very accessible being a foreigner myself. When we got back to Engleberg we had a planned dinner at a restarunt in the mountains. We ate a salad, pasta with onions and apple sauce and vanilla with starwberry ice cream. It was a delcious meal. The by tourch we walked down the mountain back to town which was an experince. Luckily I did not fall like I did in Lucerne. Over all the day went well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb