Cologne - Lucerne in 600kms


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
May 21st 2006
Published: May 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

River Rhine cruiseRiver Rhine cruiseRiver Rhine cruise

Brr it was cold that morning!
Another end to a very long day. We were late to breakfast so ended up only getting a bread roll and some ham. We sat with 2 older American couples who are both very nice. I sat next to Nancy and we are both peanut butter lovers. She’s been looking for it here but can’t find any. I have a jar in my suitcase and told her I’d bring it to breakfast the next day. After breakfast at the hotel we board the bus for our Germany tour. We went on the optional cruise on the Rhine River. A very peaceful cruise we saw scenes of castles on hilltops, quaint little towns, and vineyards on mountainsides. The cruise went for an hour. 3 levels, we spent most of it outside upstairs as it had the best views. It was quite cold though! Breeze brrr! Other than the sightseeing it was a good chance to meet others on the tour. We met a lady from Kiama (NSW) and chatted amongst the others.

Back on the bus we head towards Heidelberg. It’s a small town with gorgeous restaurants, cafes, pubs and houses next to the Rhine? River. Todd and I are starving
River Rhine cruiseRiver Rhine cruiseRiver Rhine cruise

Castles galore!
when we arrive and choose a German family restaurant in the Marienplatz. The whole menu was in German! We fudge our way through it and pick the pictures that look the yummiest. I end up with a pasta dish that is like chicken fettuccine with bosciola sauce. Todd has a chicken schnitzel meal with creamy mushroom sauce on what looks like a big hash brown. Delicious! Todd tries out some German on the waiter and he laughs. Todd says “Es Shmekt Sehr Gut”… “it tastes good”. The waiter can speak English so he understands what we’re trying to say. It’s one of the best meals we’ve had on the trip so far. We’re happy we found something German! After lunch we take a quick stroll around the town. Mainly looking in window shops. We’re coming back to Germany for the World Cup so know we can buy all our souvenirs later.

The bus ride to Switzerland was long! With 2 toilet breaks in between we finally end up in Lake Lucerne. WOW! What a beautiful place! I know I know I say they are all beautiful! But they really are. The view to Lucerne are of snow capped mountains,
Heidelberg statueHeidelberg statueHeidelberg statue

Funny statue and me. I think everyone poses with it when they visit here.
serene lakes, and white wooden houses. The sky looks clear and blue and the air is fresh. Our hotel is dead centre in the city which is great! We arrive too late though to go walking around. Besides our later dinner is just about to be served.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb