From Mount Stanserhorn to Italy


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
September 23rd 2006
Published: December 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

View from the topView from the topView from the top

How pretty is this? It was a little hazy but check out those lakes, valleys and rivers.
We left this morning on the bus to head to Italy. Our tour director decided that we would stop and do the tour of Mt. Stanserhorn since the weather looked to be really good and didn't want to take the chance at the end of our tour and get bad weather.

When we got outside of Zurich, I couldn't believe how green everything is! This is such a pretty county. Drove through a lot of pasture and farm land. Noticed that hay bales are covered in white plastic versus what we see back home. Our tour director told us that the Swiss typically speak 4 different languages which is incredibly impressive. She also said that 80% of Switzerland is mountains and lakes which explains its beauty! River and lakes all over along our drive and some of the clearest water I've ever seen.

Mt. Stanserhorn is located near Lucerne, Switzerland and overlooks the Lake. We took a funicular railway about half way up slowly making our way through pastures with plenty of Swiss brown cows and their jingling cowbells. We then transferred to a cable car (see picture) for the last half of the trip to the almost top
Cable Car RideCable Car RideCable Car Ride

Not for those who are scared of heights! Great views!!
where the restaurant is located. We were told we were climbing up to 6,300 feet.

Those who wanted could also hike the remaining way to the absolute top which I did. Kind of steep but sooo worth it (see picture). Got some amazing pictures from the top. Wish the haze would have been gone because it's very hard to make out in the photos the tall Alps with their snowcaps but I agreed with our tour director that it was better than taking the chance and getting rain. Hiked back down to the restaurant level and went and grabbed a cold beverage and snack and sat in the lawn chairs admiring the most amazing view. No evidence of forest fires, they apparently do not have the drought problems that we have back in the States.

Before long, it was time to board the bus again. We ended up going through the longest tunnel in Europe along our way, I believe our director said it was 14 miles long. Such a pretty country! I know I keep saying that but it is! As we were driving along I saw a huge waterfall coming down from off a mountain, but
AlpsAlpsAlps

I can now say I've been to the Alps! Wish it was a little clearer so you could see the tall snow caps in the distance.
since we were on the bus, there wasn't the photo stops one would normally take.

We stopped for lunch at Lugano and I could tell this was a very beautiful little city located on a pretty lake but the haze was extremely thick so not worth posting a picture. Everyone is now speaking Italian versus German. Went and walked down by the Lake for a little bit before our bus was ready to leave. Soon it was time to say goodbye to Switzerland for now (I'll be back at the end of the tour).

Not too long later we crossed into Italy. We drove by Verona which is apparently the city of Romeo and Juliet (based on a true story according to Verona historical records from the 14th century). The house with the balcony still stands for visitors to see. We then stopped for a quick Italian coffee which will be our last stop before Venice. See lots more fruit and vine trees since entering Italy versus the pasture and cornfields of Switzerland.

Finally made it to Venice and our hotel around 7 pm. Been a long day already but have already seen so much! Couldn't see
Top of StansehornTop of StansehornTop of Stansehorn

Looking down toward where the restaurant is and where the cable car stops. This was the hike that had to be done by foot.
much of Venice on the drive in (we're staying outside of town). Am not at all impressed with our hotel but luckily won't be spending much time in it. Have an early morning tomorrow and I'm so excited to see Venice! Get to spend all morning and afternoon there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb