21st Aug - Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich
August 24th 2008
Published: August 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dion - we’ve now seen your train layout in reality. We have travelled today from Lugano to Bunnen (near Schwyz, south of Zurich). The country side here is amazing! It’s so picturesque; we’ve never stopped so much for photos as we did this trip. Mind you, there were about a billion trains and train stations to see along the way and I’m sure Daniel stopped at all of them! For lunch we stopped on the side of the road which happened to be next to a train line - I think Daniel spent more time photographing the trains going past then eating lunch!

I think this is now Daniel’s favourite country because everywhere we go there are mountain biking signs for heaps of different tracks, there are almost more mountain biking track signs then road signs. Oh yeah, and he’s found REAL new-styled mountain bikes - so he’s happy. Apparently I’m not such a good travel companion anymore as he wants his mountain biking friends so he can go riding! Just as well he doesn’t have a bike otherwise I fear his hand will get re-broken very quickly!

We took the main, non-motorway roads today so that we could
Swiss housesSwiss housesSwiss houses

Sorry it's a bit hazy - it was taken through the car window
see some of the countryside - and it was well worth it. There are massive mountains everywhere, steep roads that climb up the hills to amazing look-outs. The little towns are very ‘Swiss’ looking - with dark coloured houses, shutters and flowers from the window sills. The grass here is very green, with long stretches of rolling hills, and then steep rocky cliff faces -it looks very similar to Dion’s train layout!

I was very excited today to see my first lot of cows with bells! It’s quite funny to drive around here because you can hear all the bells on the cows before you see them. Even where we are camping now we can hear the cow bells and the cows are way up on a mountain a few km’s away from where we are.
We have stopped for the night in a little town called Bunnen, and have another lovely campsite right next to the lake (the same lake that Luzern borders). Tomorrow we will carry on to Zurich for some more sight-seeing, that is if we make it past all the trains and bike shops!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bike signsBike signs
Bike signs

Daniel gazing longingly at all the MTB track signs


25th August 2008

Nice
Nice...did you ride?
27th August 2008

Can you hire good quality bikes there? Looks like we need to organise a road trip over there!!!
28th August 2008

Swiss Biking.
Nah didn't ride. Had Mons with me and did'n't want to go off and just leave her. Will be back tho with bike!!!!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb