Back in Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden
August 14th 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tall Ships RaceTall Ships RaceTall Ships Race

We visited the Tall Ships Race. Look at this nice bell I found there.

We are back in Sweden again



After we came back from Venezuela we have been travelling around a little bit in Sweden. We thought we could write some about that here on this blog in spite that we haven't really been on any adventures. Well, it is called Travelblog not Adventureblog so we believe we might get away with it.

On the previous entry of the blog we wrote about us looking for Alexander von Humboldt and only finding his boat. Well it turned out to be some sort of gathering of boats that day. Someone called it Tall Ships Race. We didn't find the ships very tall however, only very big and very much made of wood. We think a better name could be Big Wooden Sailing Boats Race. Why don't people ever ask us before they name places and events and stuff. The World would be far less confusing if we gave name to things.

We liked the boats a lot. We could not only look at them. We could actually board many of them. We played with all the boat stuff on board and pretended that is was us sailing the boat. You know, if
Gröna LundGröna LundGröna Lund

Over there across the waters you can see the amusement park Gröna Lund. We think it looks fun but mum and dad say there is a better one in Gothenburg. Well bring us there then and prove it.
we were captains on a boat like this we would have dad keelhauled and mum would have to walk the plank.

This summer we also went to the town Laholm i southern Sweden. It is really a small boring town but mum's parents live there so we have to go there once or twice every year. Well, grandma and grandpa are really nice people, and grandma makes such good food, so we don't mind going there in spite that the town is as boring as anything can get. This time we found something really funny in Laholm. There is a street there named after our hero Han Solo - it is called Solo Street. It is true! We have photo evidence! We did look around because we thought there might be other streets named after some other heroes. Maybe there is also a Harry Potter Street, a Yoda Avenue, a Legolas Lane or maybe a Dobby Road. But we couldn't find any one of those. Maybe they will rename the other streets soon. They have such dull names, Trumpet Street, Trombone Road and Tenor Lane, that renaming them would certainly be a good deed.

When we were in Laholm we
Tall Ships RaceTall Ships RaceTall Ships Race

We are going to get a boat like this ourselves one day. We look too cool when we steer it not to buy us one.
also visited mum's extra mum. Does that make her our extra grandma? She used to baby sit mum when she was a child. In her house we found this message from the space men we met earlier this year in Stockholm. They seem to be very nice people since they left that message for us. But we don't really understand how they knew that we were coming there. We have never visited mum's extra mum before you see. This is strange indeed. But the most important thing is that the message reached us, isn't it?

This summer we also went to Linköping to visit aunt Anna. Aunt Anna is really nice and we like her a lot. Not far from where she lives there is an interesting sign. It shows the distance from Linköping to various places in the World. It showed the distance to Linz in Austria, Roskilde in Denmark and Macau in China among other places. These places all sound much more interesting than Linköping anyway. I can understand why they have a sign like that in town. If you live in Linköping the only thing to keep you sane is making plans on how to get away.

One day we made friends
Tall Ships RaceTall Ships RaceTall Ships Race

Visiting the Tall Ships Race
with two big cuddly toys - Shrek and Donkey. They were sitting on a roof top in central Stockholm. We went there to say hello to them. They told us that they were in town to advertise a film they had made. We decided to go and see that movie. It was really fun. Shrek and Donkey are really great in that movie. We now think Shrek is a real hero. In the movie he saves Artie's life. Only a real hero would do that.

We also made friends with some other toys. They all came by mail from the US one day. They looked nice so we told them they were welcome to stay with us. They were Mr Salmonella, Mr Malte Malaria, Mr Typhoid Fever - aka Tyffe, Mr Giardia and the Lyme Disease Twins. However, it turned out most of them couldn't stay for very long. They had emigrated from the US because they wanted to stay with some nice families here in Sweden. We still have contact with all of them and we are planning on visiting them as soon as possible. But Mr Salmonella liked our home so much he decided to stay here permanently.

One day in the end of summer Mr Salmonella
Tall Ships RaceTall Ships RaceTall Ships Race

Here we are playing with a rope on board one of the boats
came home looking very proud. He asked us to come and have a look at the daily newspaper. The paper said that a company had to throw away 4 tons of meat because it had been infected with Salmonella. Yep, you heard right. Mr Salmonella might not look like much but he managed to infect 4 tons of meat singlehandedly. Mr Salmonella really is something, isn't he? I mean we may be cool having travelled all over the World and everything. But so far no newspaper has ever written about us. Mr Salmonella made headlines after staying here in Stockholm only a few weeks.

This summer we also visited dad's parents. They live in the countryside in the south of Sweden. When we were there they invited us to try Fermented Baltic Herring. It was interesting but we didn't eat very much. Fermented Baltic Herring really smells horribly. We prefer non-smelly food.

When we visited dad's parents we also took a walk in the neighbourhood. There we found a place called Lasse's Shelter. It was a house built on the side of a mountain using the mountainside as one of the walls. It actually looked more like a cave than
Tall Ships Race Tall Ships Race Tall Ships Race

Mum and dad put us up here because they thought it would be a cool photo
like a house. Dad explained that a man named Lars Eriksson had built this house for himself and his wife to live in. In fact they lived in that house for nearly 30 years. You might actually say that Lasse was a modern cave man.

Not far from Lasse's Shelter there is a small village named Husaby. This village is very old. In one end of the village there is a ruin after a Bishop's Castle dating back maybe as much as 900 years. In the other end of the village there is a really old church. It is believed that the church is of the same age as the Castle, that is about 900 years old. Near the entrance to the church there are some really old graves. They might actually be from the Viking age, that is almost 1000 years old. Mum and dad keep saying they are Vikings. That gives you an idea of how old they are.

According to the legends the first Swedish king to adapt the Christian religion - Olof Skötkonung - was baptised in a well near the church in Husaby. This well is much visited by tourists and many people also
Tall Ships RaceTall Ships RaceTall Ships Race

Fooling around with a life saver. this belongs to the Russian boat Kruzenshtern
drink from the well. That is a pretty stupid thing to do though because the well is fed by water from the surrounding fields and that water contains manure.

Jean-Claude: "Emma? What is manure?"
Emma: "It's cow sh*t, stupid!"
Jean-Claude: "Uh oh... That's why my stomach cramped so much after I drank from that well..."
Emma: "But didn't you read the sign saying 'Don't drink the water'?"
Jean-Claude: "I'm only a toy, a very small toy. What do you expect from me...?"

In a way Husaby is a very cute village. The castle ruin and the church really are in opposite ends of the village. Still they are just a stone throw away from each other. That's how small this village is. We actually feel sorry for the cuddly toys living in this village. It can't be fun not having any nightclubs or international airports or royal celebrities living in your hometown. We are two lucky toys to live in such a vibrant and alive city as Stockholm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Tall Ships Race Tall Ships Race
Tall Ships Race

Climbing up the mast
Tall Ships Race Tall Ships Race
Tall Ships Race

Emma: "Mum, mum! I want one of these! I look pretty in it!"
Tall Ships Race Tall Ships Race
Tall Ships Race

We didn't find Alexander von Humboldt but we found his boat.
Han Solo StreetHan Solo Street
Han Solo Street

In Laholm Han Solo has his own street.
Friends with the spacemenFriends with the spacemen
Friends with the spacemen

The space men left us this message. They are really nice. Maybe they will let us go with them into space next time they go. We hope so.
Distances from Linköping Distances from Linköping
Distances from Linköping

Many places we would like to go to.
Meeting Shrek and DonkeyMeeting Shrek and Donkey
Meeting Shrek and Donkey

Up on the roof you see Shrek and Donkey. We tried to make them come down for a cup of coffee but they were too busy. Maybe next time
Seeing Shrek's movieSeeing Shrek's movie
Seeing Shrek's movie

We went to see Shrek's movie. It was really fun.
Some new friendsSome new friends
Some new friends

These guys arrived by mail one day. They look a bit funny. That's because they are viruses, bacterias and stuff.
Mr Salmonella is proud Mr Salmonella is proud
Mr Salmonella is proud

Mr Salmonella made headlines after just a few weeks in Stockholm
Fermented Baltic HerringFermented Baltic Herring
Fermented Baltic Herring

Mum and dad actually eat that stuff but to us it was too smelly. Jean-Claude: "I even had to put a clothes-pin in my nose to keep away the smell. It hurt. My nose is sensitive."
Lasse's shelterLasse's shelter
Lasse's shelter

Lars Eriksson actually lived in this house/cave for almost 30 years.
Husaby ChurchHusaby Church
Husaby Church

In Husaby they have this really old church. It's pretty, isn't it?
Viking age grave in HusabyViking age grave in Husaby
Viking age grave in Husaby

This grave dates back almost to the Viking age. Mum and dad probably dates back even longer because they claim they are Vikings.
Olof's wellOlof's well
Olof's well

In this well the first Christian king in Sweden was baptised
12th century Bishop Castle12th century Bishop Castle
12th century Bishop Castle

This ruin in Husaby is also really old. Even in Sweden they knew how to build nice ruins
Protecting SwedenProtecting Sweden
Protecting Sweden

This summer we learned that the Norwegians can't really be trusted (see next entry on the blog) so we though we might learn how to defend Sweden before it is too late.


31st October 2007

Ni är ju bara för gulliga :) Jag får ta en sväng till Stockholm snart o hälsa på er! Kram från Aunt Anna
23rd November 2007

Köpa båt tehopa?
Z: vi kanske kan skaffa en båt tehopa? Jag är bäst på att vara kapten och Joplin är bäst på att vara styrman, till exempel. Åsså kan vi ha den utanför vårt tuffa slott. Förresten: finns det inte Yodagatan i Laholm med? Annars undrar jag om det faktiskt är Han Solos gata ... J: Himlans stor ratt på fartyget, men ni verkar ha koll :-D Det där repet skulle vår granne Sigge katt älska, han gilllar skosnören över allt annat, så ett sådant rep kunde han få i present!
25th November 2007

Köpa båt låter skoj
Ja, vi köper en båt ihop och reser jorden runt. Mamma och pappa tycker att båtar är fåniga men vi skall nog kunna övertala dem. Om vi köper båt kan vi bli pirater. Jag och Emma är jättebra på att vara pirater. Vi har sett alla tre filmerna "Pirates of the Caribbean" så vi vet precis hur man gör.

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb