Deeper into Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Västra Götaland County » Gothenburg
August 17th 2023
Published: August 17th 2023
Edit Blog Post

We are now over 6 weeks since we left home. Seems just like yesterday - not really.

Had breakfast with Christer again and bade him farewell. We have had a great time with him and have learnt lots about Sweden and Karlstad as well. He has been a fantastic host and I think he enjoyed having company to look after.

A few farewells, photos and finally away. We were heading to Gothenburg via a few places Christer had recommended. First stop was Fjallbacka which is on the coast across from Karlstad. Not sure what to expect but once we parked the car we walked down into the Centre of town.

Lots of people, boats and dogs. Turns out that Ingrid Bergman (of acting royalty) decided this was to be her happy place. Even bought a house here. When she died they spread her ashes over the rocks and sea. They have a bust of her in the main square.

Had lunch then off to Smogen. Again, no idea what we were getting ourselves into. Arrived and drove over the bridge. Magnificent sights of houses tucked in amongst the rugged rocks of the area. Ended up at the end of the road - as you do. There were people climbing the rocks so why not.

Boardwalk then rock hopping, steps and more rock hopping until we came to the edge of the rocks and the sea. Spectacular sights. Well worth the effort to get out here.

Rocky islands everywhere which made for amazing sights and challenging navigation by the mariners.

Back to the car and on our way to Gothenburg. Found our way to the hotel without a hassle. Checked in and have a room with a view over the Harbour. Very nice.

Today a lot of the driving was off the motorway. Got to see lots of forested areas and some really pretty little villages. Well worth the diversions and maybe slower roads but much nicer scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb