Villar de Mazarife to Astorga


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
September 22nd 2017
Published: September 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

We woke up around 6am and were ready to, planning on stopping for breakfast at the first town, but when I went down to the kitchen to see if I could grab a quick coffee, I found out they were serving breakfast for free. So, we delayed our departure a bit and didn't leave until around 7am. After almost 9 kilometers, we entered the first town, Villavante, where we stopped for a break at a little bar. I should mention that John was with us, and we'd picked up a new guy with us, but I'm afraid I don't remember his name.

After our break, we walked the 5 kilometers or so until we reached Hospital de Orbigo, the famous place where a spurned knight decided to block the bridge into his beloved's town, challenging every knight that tried to enter. I guess he figured if he couldn't have her, no one else could. After crossing the bridge, we stopped for another break, then plodded on the 6 kilometers to the next town of Santibanez Valdeiglesias where we stopped for lunch before starting the last 11 kilometers of our 30 plus kilometers day. Along the way, with some long and/or steep climbs, we passed a weird looking pilgrim's rest area, then stopped for a break at the Casa de Los Diodes donativo rest stop. Donativo means you take what you need and leave whatever donation you want to. This one, like several others had numerous drinks, fruit and snacks. It also had some nice places to sit or even lie down, and a restroom. Also, you can get a pilgrim stamp for your credential.

Well relaxed, we started the last 6 kilometers to Azofra, passing through the suburb of San Justo de la Vega. They had a neat statue of a pilgrim taking a drink, which I had to pose with. As it always seems to happen, the last bit into town was a climb, this one rather steep. We gladly checked into the Albergue Municipal and stowed our gear. This albergue seems run of mill, but does have a nice kitchen, dining, and break area. I went out with a few other Camino friends to pick up some stuff for a communal dinner and something special for the climb to the Cruz de Fero. More on that the day after tomorrow. Raresh's dog is having some big problem and he is spending a lot of his time on the phone trying to fix it. He seems very concerned about the dog and his worried wife.

Tomorrow are walking about 20 kilometers to Rabanal del Camino, the last stop before the climb to the Cruz de Fero.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb