Astorga to Rabanal del Camino


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile & León
September 23rd 2017
Published: September 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

We left the albergue in Azofra around 7:30 heading to Murias de Rechivaldo for breakfast, about 5 kilometers away. As we were leaving Azofra, we spotted a bunch of pilgrims stopping at some place in the left, before crossing the road. There was a small religious building called Hermita de Foce Homo. We took a peek inside before continuing on. They were giving pilgrim's stamps, but there was a line and we've been getting plenty. This morning we were traveling with a couple of folks we'd shared dinner with last night. Again, I'm sorry, but I am terrible with names. We soon entered Murias de Rechivaldo and stopped at Bar Cris for breakfast.

Somewhere after that, I started leaving Raresh behind because he was talking and walking slowly. I entered Santa Catalina de Somoza 4 1/2 kilometers later, and waited for the others at the El Caminante. After a brief stop, for them, we continued on to El Ganso about 4 kilometers later, and again waited for the others, this time at the famous Cowboy Bar. This time they didn't want to stop do we continued on towards our stop of the day, Rabanal del Camino, another 7 kilometers. Again, I got way out ahead, so I stopped for a break with a number of other pilgrims, but this time Raresh and others were so engrossed with their chat that they walked right by me. I got my backpack back on and soon caught up with them, giving Raresh a bit of a surprise.

When we finally entered Rabanal del Camino, we found out that the municipal albergue we'd planned on staying at was no longer open, so we checked into the first one in town, Albergue La Senda, since it was only 5 euros and there was a bar/restaurant right next door. The albergue is okay. They have a nice kitchen and dining room or lounge, but the beds are pretty tight and there is only one bathroom with a shower and one with just a toilet. After exploring the town a bit, the Albergue El Pilar looks neater with a big, nice courtyard.

Raresh and I ate lunch at the restaurant next door, splitting Patatas Bravas, croquetas, and a big tuna empanada. For dinner we are going to do the communal thing again. John hobbled into town and is staying at the same albergue, ad well as Alex and Livija. I'm going to fix fried Spanish peppers.

Tomorrow is a big day, since we'll be climbing 7.7 kilometers to the Cruz de Fero, then a steep 10 kilometers downhill before doing another 10 to Molinaseca.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 18; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb