Bilbao - Sabiñánigo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
April 20th 2010
Published: May 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi all. First of all sorry for the gap in between blogs. We’re now in Italy and wi-fi is not as easy to find unless you’re rich! We have also been very busy on the tour! Will tell you about that later. Now to tell you about our last few days in Spain.

Sabiñánigo (Sabe as the locals call her) was our pit stop on the way to Barcelona. We visited 2 places in between Bilbao and Sabe - San Sebastian and Pampelona.

San Sebastian is a really nice holiday spot. We had a good walk around the headland and took in the view. This called for cooling off at the beach and a chilly dip in the Atlantic definitely did the trick! Lysh was excited to have her first swim in Spain. Richie made it in to his knees so I guess you’d just call that a paddle. We enjoyed relaxing on the beach with some tinto’s that we mixed up. The beach in San Sebastian was lovely, we just wish the water was warmer for us!

Next we stopped in Pamplona. The city is very beautiful which surprised us as we had expected it to be more industrial. They were doing a lot of work in the city/cathedral obviously for the running of the bulls in the beginning of July. We walked the route the bulls take as they chase the crazy people who run with them! It’s an 850m stretch and they have some really good information signs along the way about the history of the running of the run. We were imagining being in the street and being charged by the bulls - no thanks!! The route finishes at the Plaza de Toros where the bulls meet their fate in a bull fight in the afternoon.

The drive to Sabe was beautiful. We went through a portion of the Pyrenees which was magnificent. We came across a large lake which had water that was the most amazing turquoise colour! It was like no water we had ever seen. The photos don’t show it very well unfortunately.

We picked Sabe randomly as a pit stop and didn’t know anything about the town. We were pleasantly surprised! It’s a pretty little town and is the gateway to the ski resorts. There was still a bit of snow around on the mountains. Hopefully on our next trip we can stay here again and do some skiing. As you can see in the photo we had a fantastic view of the mountains from our room!

The next morning we left and had a fairly big drive to Barcelona.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb