Bilbao


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Bilbao
April 19th 2010
Published: April 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

On Monday we left rural Cantabria and took a short drive to Bilbao in the Basque Country. Along the way we had a quick visit to Santander which was packed due to alot of stranded travellers catching ferries back to the UK. We didn’t stay long as we weren’t a fan of the crowds, this gave us a bit more time to explore Bilbao’s city centre. Walking along the river was lovely. Bilbao’s most famous building is the Guggenheim museum which is a very unusual looking metallic building! Just near the Guggenheim we found a giant flower dog which was also a little bit strange but pretty. We had our first trip in a funicular (a funny little tram like thing) which takes you up steep hills. A few cities we have been in have these. The view from the park at the top of the funicular line was fantastic! We could see the whole city as we enjoyed some coffees and churros. Isn’t it funny that something can taste so much better when you’re in a fantastic location (and with great company of course)? Although churros is always yummy and we have certainly been indulging ourselves!

After taking in the sights of Bilbao we had our first taste of pintxos hopping in Casco Viejo (Bilbao’s old quater). Pintxos is something the Basque region in Spain is known for. It’s like tapas however all the yummy morsels are lined up on the bar with toothpicks in them. You ask for a plate, load up what you want and then at the end say how many toothpicks you have had, then pay accordingly. It’s an honesty system that’s been around for a very long time. We had lots of fun pintxos hopping!!!

Getting back to the hotel wasn’t quite as fun... On the way to our hotel we’d seen a few suss looking “bars” with ladies out the front. At night the area really comes alive. There were a lot of domincan republic gangs and a lot more ladies out the front lining the street to boot(y) (pardon the pun). Our mug meters were off the chart, yet we got back to our room safely, although we believe the building may have been an old brothel!

We are not sure if areas like these were in every city we’ve been to, we may have been unlucky to be staying right in the centre of one! Irrespective, Bilbao was a beautiful little city!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb