Ruined Village


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
June 17th 2007
Published: June 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Woke up to rain that had been falling although the night, staying wrapped up we mooched in bed listening and looking at the rain thundering on the sun roof. Both engrossed in our respective books and being very lazy. Then a major decision against all odds Matt declared he was going to enter the Norwegian Paragliding Competition. Off we set to Piedrahita to register. This is all new to Matt his first ever competition oh the ums and ha’s. The organizer of the event senesced a little indecisiveness and came all trumps giving Matt until 6pm to make a final decision. Rain now dispersing we decided a road trip was in order to a town call Salvatierra De Tomes. We chose this location as it was situated on a lake side. It took us 45 Mins to get to our there with “Should I shouldn’t I. Id like too. Oh I don’t know” coming from Matt the decision still wavering. Our route was not on major roads and we enviably meandered through the narrow streets of two Spanish villages. We arrived at Salvatierra and we thought we had just reached the site of a town that had been demolished through war. No one to be seen , everywhere we turned fallen buildings, crumpled masses of stone and rock previously I guess known as Homes, Churches, Shops, no sign of life. Turning the corner we spied a dog lazing in the shad and the typical containers of bright flowers overhanging the window ledges, a stark contrast to the “ghost town “we had entered. Stopping we made out way down to the lake, pondering over what may have happened , very puzzled but to our surprise we spied a “local” we seized the opportunity to extract information, She (unfortunately we didn’t get her name) spilled the beans. The State of Spain has paid the forma residents of the village to move out of their homes as the State was not finding the village prosperous as they were only producing gains and had no cattle (the year this happened was not said), and the lovely lake that attracted us initially was a man resvoiur in which the State of Spain inititated and incorporated in the exist of the towns folk. I’m not sure that the pictures attached show you the extent of dilapidation. Our source was actually Dutch and lived with her husband with the rest of the 6 residence of the town, although on paper there are 80 registered residences they actually live elsewhere. (the reason for this is it is a lot cheaper for car insurance , tax etc if you live in a war torn village).She went on to mention that her son and family had immigrated to Wellington in New Zealand and even before she went into it both Matt and I looked at each other seemly both thinking the same “Why Wellington” oh boy did we get it Wellington is windy , hot, two many people , not personal etc, etc etc , well what do you except coming from a village of 8 one being your hubby!!!!!. All in all very informative afternoon we departed with all the pieces of the puzzle back in the box, and the village restored to its usual calm. Making our way back it was 5.15 pm the decision ever looming closer, 5.50pm the call was made YES, the challenge was on, we retired to the “Vine Tree” in the central square of Piedrahita, a simple but satisfying meal. No siesta today needed sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0588s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb