Cullera/Valencia Part Two: Beaches and Buildings


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Valencia
May 24th 2013
Published: May 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

When not attending weddings, we did look at buildings and beaches here!

Our beach in Cullera was great for barefoot running, and the hills were great for walks.

Valencia has amazing architecture, especially in the center....everywhere you look, there's another beautiful building...

We drove to Castelldefels, south of Barcelona today, with a lovely stop in the town of Tarragona....with a Roman amphitheater right on the sea, lots of other Roman ruins, a well-done archeological museum (free today!), and great food.

We ended up on toll roads a few times (thanks a lot, GPS) and the tolls are really high: over $27 for under two hours of driving....

Castelldefels is right on the sea, with cliffs coming down behind....we choose it for the free parking and easy train ride into Barcelona...

Our hotel tonight isn't great, so we may not spend the next four nights here...we'll see!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Driving to ValenciaDriving to Valencia
Driving to Valencia

This a major cycliong route!
Inside of Neoclassical Post OfficeInside of Neoclassical Post Office
Inside of Neoclassical Post Office

where Bill had to mail back the keys from the hotel in San Jose....
Stained glass ceiling of Post OfficeStained glass ceiling of Post Office
Stained glass ceiling of Post Office

Only shot I got before the security guard said no photos...
Hiking the abandoned building projectsHiking the abandoned building projects
Hiking the abandoned building projects

The top of the small Mt Cullera was to be developed, apparently. There are roads and some sidewalks, but since the developments on the front of the mountain sit empty or unfinished, no more building is going on...just lots of wildflowers!
Our hotel is at the bottom leftOur hotel is at the bottom left
Our hotel is at the bottom left

Buildings above are an abandoned project...one of several here.
More abandoned apartmentsMore abandoned apartments
More abandoned apartments

They almost look like empty pueblos...


25th May 2013

Velencia and the Holy Graille
I hope you did not pass up the main Cathedral in Valencia. They have a whole chapel devoted to the Holy Graille, which (far from being lost or mysterious) sits there in plain view of all. It is a plain little alabaster cup held up by the most ornate gold and jeweled thing I have ever seen. Right across from it is the dried and shriveled arm of St. Somebody, hacked to death by Roman short swords in the 3rd century. The rest of him is somewhere else, but the arm is right there in plain view.
26th May 2013

Valencia
We shouldda told you to visit the aquarium in Valencia....the largest in the world and worth seeing. Loved your wedding!....but setting chest hair on fire??????!!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb