Sun in Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Estella
June 22nd 2013
Published: June 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Now we want it to rain!!





22km today and not a cloud in the sky. Water consumption has gone through the roof with shade hard to find at times. Amazing countryside with track going from one village to another usually between 3 and 5km apart. Each village provides shade and usually a cafe or bar where the food and drinks are cheap and very nice. mum I now know why your Gazpatcho soup was invented - so refreshing in the middle of a hot day. Soup or a potato and egg omelette are only two euros at most places. Beer is two euros for 250ml and a cuppa one euro twenty. Meals at night are very reasonable mostly 12 - 15 euros for 3 courses.





Met quite a few Americans today, interesting, a dad with his two young adult daughters doing the whole Camino and a 78 year old dad with his daughter, his mate and wife in their 60's. keen as and coping really well with the distances and weather.





In Spain, having been feudal for centuries, the villages of interest or along the Camino are invariably on hills so you

are forever going up and down as you approach and leave them. Quite steeply at times. for the next few days the trail is reasonably flat. Walked along some original Roman roadway and past what was left of a stone Roman bridge. Also a pilgrims hostel built in 1066 which certainly made you think about how long this trail has been followed.

Once we arrived in Estella I gave Fiona very clear instructions on how to find our hotel while I headed off in advance to organise the room for her lady ships arrival. We were about a km away. Half an hour later Fiona was at the hotel while I was horribly lost in the back streets. I took the initiative and started asking locals where the hotel was but was only able to locate it when I heard a familiar voice screaming MARK at the top of her voice. I followed the sound and finally arrived at our booked hotel.


Father Ken remained with us and today is the 22nd anniversary of his ordination. We went to mass at the church opposite our hotel where he and his travelling companion Father Brad - now becoming a Benedictine

monk - co con celebrated mass with the local priest - in Spanish.

Another pilgrims 3 course meal and it was off to bed.


thought for the day went to Fiona - sometimes it is easier to simply walk through the mud rather than always try and find the easy way around. Fiona worries that her comments may sound like she has lost her marbles - many of course would say she did this long ago when she married me.


Good night.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



1st July 2013

love these
Really enjoying following Your Way!

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb