The roadtrip


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia » Santiago de Compostela
September 19th 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The sky still looks dark so we decide to keep heading west.

To contrast yesterday´s contempory art showing we hunt down some paintings that have been around a little longer, 20,000 years to be exact. The cave housing them is pretty impressive itself, all huge stala-ctites/gmites and where minerals have ´flowed´over rocks over the centuries creating an odd vision like a solid waterfall.

Then continuing the historic theme we bed down for the night in Santillana del Mar ... a 16th century preserved village.

When we wake the sunshine is still not playing ball so we go on a little trip west, actually about as far as you can go without getting your toes wet. It turns out to be a bit further than expected ... so far in fact that we have to enlist the third driver ... inspired by Christian the lion in his very own mercedes softtop



























... and we spend about 7 hours in the car getting to Santiago de Compostela and then another few hours searching for some live music. Since the weather doesn´t appear to be any better here we head straight back ... making that probably the furthest I´ve ever driven for a meal (like going from Bristol to Glasgow just for dinner).

For several hours on the return trip we pass literally 100´s of pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago trail ... a 700km pilgrimage to the ashes of St James (one of Jesus´first apostles).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb