Embracing the Spanish way of life in Trujillo


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Extremadura » Trujillo
September 20th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The next stop on our trip was Trujillo. This is a smallish town in Extremadura. I think it is fair to say we are well off the English tourist trail and we do need to use our rather bad Spanish.

We are in the nicest hotel so far. It is an old convent that is now a 4* hotel. The conversion has been done well and there are some super modern lights and art work which look really good. The room where we had breakfast used to be a chapel. Impressive! The problem with such a nice hotel is that we tend to stick out. The rest of the guests are well heeled Spanish tourists and don't seem to have the rucksacs, hats and trainers that we have! I think they must be wondering where we have strayed from!

We are now well into the Spanish pace of life. The hotels all have shutters which makes the bedrooms very dark which means we don't wake up to 9. That is ok because breakfast is from 8 - 11. It is then time for some sightseeing before lunch at about 2 (or 3!) Then a siesta or swim before the afternoon sightseeing. Most things don't open for afternoon until 4:30 or even 5:30pm. This includes shops - don't try and buy anything between 2 - 5. This appears to be eating and relaxing time.

Seeing as this blog is about Trujillo I feel I should mention something about it! It is a really nice town with a very pretty Plaza Mayor. We sat in many of the cafés and restaurants surrounding the square in our 2 days here. It has a castle that looks like a proper castle - just like the ones that children draw. It also has some nice churches and other buildings. When we were high up at the castle you realise that there are not too many other towns around here. Past the edge of the town there was just nothing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb