Spain 31 - Day 9 and a half, Merida, Friends Romans Spanish and countrymen lend me your amphitheatre


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Extremadura » Mérida
September 20th 2015
Published: September 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

It is day 9 and a half into the Iberian trip. We left our campsite after a very entertaining evening watching our new neighbours a Spanish couple trying to find the perfect spot. He placed his levelling blocks under his wheels to raise it a couple of inches and the van kept going up and then came down again. We smiled as he paced out his pitch to work out exactly which electric cable was the one he needed to use. We use guesswork so found his precision quite amusing. Whilst all this was going on his wife donned industrial gloves used in the nuclear industry to wash her smalls. Behind all this another spanish caravanner was moving his van and his car into the part of the site which was closed to visitors. It was a funny old night.

We left at 8.30 with the plan of trying to get into Merida for the 9.30 opening times of the Roman stuff. We had wanted to see it before but failed miserably only finding the old bridge and no parking. We hoped this trip would be different. 2nd time lucky we hoped. Just as we got into Merida Sally Sat Nav decided to shut down . Not a good thing as you approach a roundabout , a slip road and morning rush hour in Merida. To be fair it wasn't her fault but ours as we had forgotten to plug her in and she had just run out of juice.

We got her back on again and found our chosen parking spot. A huge parking area for cars, vans and motorhomes where you could stay an hour or stay a night . We had chosen well as there was plenty of room and we were within walking distance of all the roman remains. Merida was founded by the Emperor Augustus in the year 25 BC. It became the cultural and economic capital of the roman outpost of Lucitania. We walked from the car park in the general direction of the remains and could see them over the privet and chain linked fencing. We could hear the workers inside but could not find any way in . After circumnavigating the globe we eventually found the entrance and paid our fee of 12 euros for me not being a pensioner and 6 for Glenn.

Our first stop was the Roman theatre said to be the best preserved in the world. And so it was. Still used to this day for drama and theatre. It was odd to walk around the well preserved ampitheatre and imagine the well heeled romans baying for slaves blood , throwing a few christians to the lions and then going over to the theatre for a bit of high culture. It was atmospheric andn not hard to imagine the sounds, the smells and the noise. Next door was quiet . Away from the ampitheatre it was peace and harmony. All marble and stone. Of course you have to try out your Friends , Romans and Countrymen bit.



The only thing that spoiled the theatre was the drainage wagon which looked a touch incongruous in front of it. Still jobs have to be done.

Our next port of call was the Casa de Antitheatro with its underground galleries and mosaics. These were interesting and free as they were part of the 12 euros tickets we had purchased . They were interesting but I have to be honest and for me they were a bit disappointing after seeing the mosaics of Ravenna and of Aquileia. Nothing can compare to those. There is a small museum but we felt museumed out and gave it a miss . Best leave something for next time we are around this way. We have seen so many Roman statues and coins we didn’t feel inclined to stay there but headed off for the Alcazabar. Huge walls protected this part of the city. Now they were interesting and stretched for some way. On to the Temple of Diana. Those romans ensured that everything was catered for. Sport and religion in equal measure. The temple was free as there was nothing to see inside. Finally we headed towards the Roman racecourse which was Meridas answer to Monza or Silverstone. Refreshments were taken at the museum café. It was a bit of a soulless place and had not got a huge choice of menu but we found things that we fancied and had a good meal. We drank fresh orange juice which they do so well in Spain and Portugal . 2 euros a glass. Glenn choose the house salad which came with red and green lettuces, tomatoes , sliced onions and beetroot, quartered eggs and tuna on top. There was enough for three people in the bowl and even though we shared it we still sent a lot back. That cost a meagre 6 euros 40. I shared a patata tortilla and bread with Iberico ham. 4 euros 40. It doesn’t cost much to eat reasonably well here. Choose Salad and it comes as a meal for two. You get your fill with tapas too.

So now we had done Spain for a while and were heading for our oldest ally Portugal. Would our tag work on the motorway system. We would soon find out.

Advertisement



21st September 2015

merida
Loved the chariot race course! I had never seen one before so was quite amazed by it! Enjoy your travels!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb