The Belens, Christmas Bus, Luces de Navidad, Doce Uvas y Cabalgata in Madrid


Advertisement
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
January 5th 2014
Published: January 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Spending Christmas in Madrid? There is much to explore, to discover, and to enjoy, while homebased in the capital. Homebased In Madrid I should get a prize for visiting so many belens (Nativity Scenes) and riding on the Navidad Bus (NaviBus) passing Madrid streets decorated with Christmas lights. Christmas here in Madrid is all about Nativity. The Infant Jesus. Bethlehem. More than Christma... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

RainshowersRainshowers
Rainshowers

Just before the street parade started....
Cabalgata Street ParadeCabalgata Street Parade
Cabalgata Street Parade

Choo Choo train!



8th January 2014

Wow! It's always great to read about how other cultures celebrate Christmas. I've been following your adventures in Instagram, and it's great to read about the entire story :D
8th January 2014

Hi Nina
It was an eye-opener for me as well. Like, I didn't give much attention to the 3 wise men, till now.
8th January 2014

Madrid and the holidays
What a magnificent time of year to enjoy Madrid. I love rituals and decorations around the world. It sounds like you've done extensive research on all the city has to offer. I would love to see all those nativities and ride the bus. We may have to add Madrid to our holiday travel list!
10th January 2014

I had the time to explore
Somehow i adopted a ritual..... Like each day is like a search for belens in between museum visits and day trips somewhere. Each morning, a desayuno adventure. Soon, it will be over and I 'm home brewing my own coffee.
8th January 2014
My Favorite Nativity Scene

Fabulous lights and nativity scenes!
How wonderful that they had the navibus to take you around to all those incredible light displays! Nativity scenes are also popular here (called nacimientos) but they include figures are widely varied sizes and so are pretty funny. Madrid's belens are really works of art. Thanks for the great holiday blog!
10th January 2014
My Favorite Nativity Scene

Belens
I like this tradition of setting up belens more than a Christmas tree. The Christmas lights were awesome. Imagine me freezing doing all those 3 navibus rides!
9th January 2014

12 grapes and 3 reyes magos
I have never in my whole life been able to eat the 12 grapes following the bells... never, ever, ever!! I tried choosing the smallest, peeling them and taking the seeds out... still no good!!... this year, my grandmother managed to finish hers even before the bells were over!!!, now that's a skill, specially considering that she's got dentures! ;) Also I think we are one of the few families in Spain that don't give presents on the 6th of January to celebrate the coming of the 'Reyes Magos", as my sister chose to come to this world on that very same day, so she's the only one getting anything for her birthday (fairly enough) and so we used to get presents on Christmas day like... I think children now a days get presents on both days.
9th January 2014

Now i feel better....
I nearly choked on those grapes and couldn't imagine how others can do it. Thanks for additional info on gift-giving.... Met new friends here and gifted the child on Christmas Day too. Then i was told about them waiting for Jan 6. I hope the mom didn't make her wait to open her present that long !

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb