The Philosophy of Culture Shock


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
July 13th 2005
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Anytime one travels to a destination that is foreign to them, that person will inevitably experience a state of culture shock. This state has many phases, covering a broad spectrum of emotions and experiences. Undoubtedly, any experience one may have is largely effected by the emotions it fosters within them. Memories of home or thoughts of ones dreams realized effect these experiences as well.

The initial phase is one of overwhelming bewilderment and endless fascination. Like a baby, wide-eyed and innocent, your experiences are all new and rushing in at incredible speeds. There is little time to make anything of these experiences; the sights and sounds are simply too furious and fairly daunting. For me, this phase was like a high; a rush of energy that enabled me to push on through situations that may have otherwise seemed futile.

The futility comes when you see what can be accomplished during your stay. Surely, one travels with an open-mind, and with the desire to learn and grow as a person. However, once the initial phase is over, and the vast, open stretches of knowledge to be gleaned lie before you, that desire withers a bit. Once you see all that can be accomplished and see those who may have already done so,you begin to think, why bother. The grandness of your challenge confronts you. The ways of this new and strange place rip at you, and you become confused, apathetic and lost.

Eventually, by delving into yourself enough, one can remember why it was you wanted to undertake the challenge in the first place. For me, it took a bad weekend and some hard days surrounding it. I thought, ´why did this happen. Am I doing the wrong things.´A new facination grows, and from it blossoms the desire to learn and accept. I am in a new place, with many different truths; my surroundings are not my own, but I am still me. I can always move forward knowing that.

From here your journey can begin.



Advertisement



14th July 2005

chin up soldier
i can sense a little lost in translation moment going on here. i can only imagine the way your feeling right now. but i think that after its all over with you will be so very happy with yourself for going through with it. we all envy you.
15th July 2005

brain collapsing inward on itself
what, did you bump into confucious or something this weekend? sorry i haven't been on in a while but i've been really busy at work lately. i'm putting in 40 hour weeks ffor the next couple of weeks. guess that's the price you pay when you volunteer for a blockbuster video death squa... errr, i mean conversion team, yeah that's what i mean. anywho, sounds like you've had some stumbling blocks your first week, but i'm sure you are more than capable of overcoming them. good luck and study hard! ps.- sorry i haven't gotten around to sending anyone some fantasy footbal invites yet, i've just been too busy lately. between my 40 hour workweeks and trying to get online between my dad's drafts i've managed to accumulate about 7 minutes of internet time this week. but soon everyone, very soon...

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb