Day 10


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
July 12th 2005
Published: July 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for being the deadbeats, but internet access is hard to come by in Iceland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Brussels. However, we have made it to Spain safely and everything so far has been incredible.

Mark and I got into Iceland on the morning of the 3rd and went to our hostel, but they told us our room would not be ready for another 4 hours. So Mark and I made our way into Reykjavik and stopped by the Hotel Borg to see if we could scam a free breakfast because nothing is open on Sunday mornings in Iceland. However we made it back to the hostel and crashed until about 9pm and then proceeded to do some sightseeing due to the fact that we had sunlight 24 hours a day. The following day, we decided to drive our Toyota Yaris (its smaller than a Mini) north up and coast and we ended up taking it over a glacier with about 15 feet of visibility in front of us. Our last day in Iceland we drove along the southern coast and saw some spectacular waterfalls and glaciers. We left Iceland on the 6th, and supposedly, Bruce Springsteen put on a spontaneous concert in the airport the day after we left, so unfortunately we missed that.


Later that afternoon, Mark and I met up in Amsterdam with Grant, who had gotten in earlier that morning. But Amsterdam was a great time. The red-light district is pretty interesting, but we all decided that after a day or two Amsterdam looses it appeal very quickly. But after our first night, we left for a small town outside Amsterdam called Arnhem and saw a Coldplay concert. After getting off the train in the town, we went to check into the hotel and the lady at the front desk told us the concert might have been cancelled because of the bombings in London, that we had not heard about. But she said the show was actually still a go, so we went to the stadium, and we all agrees that it might have been the best concert that any of us has ever seen. Chris Martin, the lead singer, got on stage at the beginning of the show and said that had contemplated cancelling the show because of the attacks, but the band decided that was the wrong decision to make and they went ahead with the concert. And what a concert it was. Everyone in the crowd was going crazy the entire time. They put on a tremendous show and we are hoping to go see them in NYC after we return from Thailand.

Once we got back from the concert, we decided to cut short our stay in Amsterdam and see what Luxembourg had to offer. Well, we answered our own questions within about 10 minutes of getting into the capital. They donĀ“t bring a whole lot to the table. But we made the most of it and made our own fun. And the following day we got back on the train and headed to Brussels and had a blast there. We ended up just walking around the city and stopping in at little street cafes for a drink and then moving on the check out the rest of the city.

And finally, yesterday we left Brussels and arrived in Madrid where it was 93 degrees and sunny. Today we are seeing the sights and obviously catching up on emails and such. Tomorrow we head for Pamplona to run with the bulls and then the following day we are off to St. Sebastian to crash on the beach for a few well deserved days.

But I will try and be better about sending updates and keep everyone posted


Take care


Will, Grant & Mark

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb