Toro Toro


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
July 21st 2013
Published: July 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Bull fights… Where do I Begin; I knew the fight would be really gruesome, but holey hell. So a single Bull is released into the ring, and is super aggravated. The Bull runs around the ring looking to kill something, and charges the first matador that comes into sight. The matadors are dressed in a Traditional one piece; sporting the bright colors, sparkles and flare. The Matadors dance with the bulls, Literally Dodging a thousand pound charging bull by inches. The masters of deception that they are; trick the bull over and over with the same trick(Toro Toro). Once the bull refuses to fall for the empty cloth; they bring out the horses. A single man rides a horse Dressed in all gold sporting a large sun hat with a stiff brim, and Toting a large spear with a brutally blunt tip. This man Rides a Blinded horse wrapped up in in three layers of Padding, and for a good reason. The Horseman’s right foot is in a steel stirrup and looks like he is wearing the right Leg from a Knight’s suit of armor. A group of Matadors lead the bull near the horseman and then back away. The bull fixates his attention upon the Horseman and then rushes the horse in a full charge. The horseman lowers his spear and the tip catches the running bull right in the top of the Shoulder blade practically inches from the spine. The spear sticks in the bulls back because of a metal rod that sits perpendicular four inches up from the tip of the spear. This strike is meant to wound the bull not to kill it; the shot from the spear does not stop the charging bull. The Bull crashes into the horse nearly taking him off his feet, the horns of the bull cannot penetrate the horses padding; but sure would make a mess if they could! The Matadors draw the thrashing bull away from the horseman; so he can have another clean poke at the Bull. The Bulls blood comes rushing out of the holes in his back when he chases the pink cape around the ring. One of the matadors sneek out into the ring wielding two sticks with barbed spear points. These small stakes are warped in frilly tissue paper. So when a matador successfully lands them in the charging Bulls back; the stick breaks an inch above the skin and they dangle off the side of the bull. The tissue paper soaks up the Bulls blood like a sponge, it is used as a device to measure how much blood the Bull has lost. Two more Matadors land two more Stakes each, leaving six broken blood soaked spears dangling from the bull. The Bull is even more Aggressive, But looks Desperate in its charges. The Main matador comes out with a Blunt tipped sword to lead an Angry bull through his empty cape. He uses this blunt tip sword under the cape to make a large red rigged looking target for the bull. Eventually the Bull grows tired of falling for his tricks, and the Matador has to get within meters of the Panting Bull to make him Charge. The Bull is Blood soaked and Stomach contracts and expands significantly; His tongue sticks out like a dog would in the sun. The matador then trades out his blunt tip sword, for a crisp edged rapier. The Matador uses his sharp thin sword under his cape to fool the Bull once again, but this time when the Bull tires he goes in for the kill. The bull pauses staring into the red Cape before the Matador. I read somewhere that the Red cape does not make the bull Angry, But emotional. That Sentence kept running through my Mind as I watched the Bull watching the Matador raise his rapier into the Air. From about a meter away the Matador Lunges flashing his cape right into the bulls face, and his sword catches the bull in a Gap between the shoulder blade and spine. If done correctly the sword will slide right Into the bull with ease, and before the bull can turn and find the Matador blood comes pouring out his mouth with a pulsating flow like a Garden hose. On this day I Only saw this perfect strike happen once and it was on the sixth and Final Bull of the day. This is something I would recommend someone to go and view before this Spanish tradition goes away forever. Bull fighting has been banned in Barcelona. So it is logical that Madrid could eventually Ban Bull fighting too. The stadium wasn’t even half way full, which was kind of disappointing because it is a beautifully crafted Stone Seated arena. There are Many more photos Below!

Please subscribe and Comment

Adios



Lucas


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



24th July 2013

Understanding through harsh realities
Thank you for writing about this, Lucas. When I was in Madrid I chose to tour the bull fighting arena on a day there was no fight because I didn't want to see the gore and violence. However, living in Bangladesh has taught me that shying away from hard realities doesn't make them go away, but it does make them harder to understand. Whether or not Madrid follows Barcelona in banning bull fights, you saw a dying tradition. I am sure this experience will give you a deeper understanding of Spanish culture, and ultimately of humanity.
24th July 2013

It hit me when the last Matador got the perfect kill and I could see the Blood pouring out of his mouth like it was on Tap. This Is as Human as it gets, we Gather to watch Suffering of another Life form. then we drag its corpse through the Arena, and cheer for the man who Slay the beast. I dont understand a lot of things about this Tradition, but this has made an Impact i will never forget. I hope my words and photos did this age old Tradition justice, and made it so maybe you wouldn't have to see it in real life; cause you felt like you were there. My Africa Blogs will be up in a couple days so stay in Touch!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb