We're in Madrid, Spain!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, it's the end of another full day. We left Barcelona this morning, at 7am. We spent a good part of this day in transit, via coach. We arrived in Zaragoza at 11:00. Zaragoza is south and west from Barcelona, on the way to Madrid. We enjoyed an hour and a half for a lunch stop. We got to look around the Basilica, see the historic section of town and have some lunch. Inside the basilica is the Pilar de la Virgen. The custom is that people kiss this pillar for a blessing. Mass was being celebrated while we were there, so nobody got to kiss the pillar. We did see it, though.

After Zaragoza, we went back on the bus on our way to Madrid. It looks like a beautiful city...very regal, with elaborate fountains in traffic circles and finely-carved details on building facades. Our hotel is really nice. It's on the same plaza as the Reina Sofia museum, which houses Picasso's Guernica. The hotel is in a prime location within walking distance of everything we want to see. It's a beautiful, old hotel, with large rooms and a lot of charm. The kids were really happy to see what big rooms they have, and many have balconies that overlook the street or the plaza.

We have already walked to and spent 2 hours inside the Prado museum, which houses famous works by the Spaniards Goya, Vasquez and el Greco (adopted Spaniard!) It also has a collection of Poussin and a few de la Tour pieces (French artists.) We walked to dinner and now we're back at the hotel. It's late and the teachers have finished doing our rounds. It's bedtime for everyone.

Tomorrow, we'll be up at 8, breakfast at 9 and out at 10. We will be having a panoramic tour, with a local guide, by bus. We will be having a tour of the Royal Palace by this local guide and will have our last meal as a group, at lunch. The rest of the afternoon will be time for small groups, exploring the city and its landmarks, perhaps picking up last-minute souvenirs.

Buenas noches.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb