Our last day in Madrid...


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid » Madrid
June 24th 2009
Published: June 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cervantes' statue at Plaza de EspanaCervantes' statue at Plaza de EspanaCervantes' statue at Plaza de Espana

Photo credit: Kyle Ewing
We enjoyed our last day in Madrid. We started with a coach tour around the city. We stopped at the Plaza de Espana, which boasts el Monumento de Cervantes. Cervantes wrote Don Quixote, which is the second most important book to the Spanish, after the bible. From there, we went to the Royal Palace for a tour. Wow. We saw palatial rooms, staircases, silver, dishes, paintings, statues, a fine collection of Stratavarius stringed instruments and an armory that was impressive. There was a pharmacy and kitchen that was set up to emulate earlier times in the palace. The King and Queen Sofia only live in this palace when there is an event of the state. The last was a visit from France's President Sarkozy and his wife.

We had lunch as the big group, today. After that, Alejandra sent us in the right direction, as small groups with maps. We walked through the shopping area near Puerto del Sol, saw the Plaza Mayor, which used to hold bull fights for the audience of the King, Jardin Botanico and Parque del Buen Retiro, some even rowed in the rowboats, just like people in the Spanish textbook! Lastly, most went to the Museo Nacional de Arte Reina Sofia. This is the modern museum that houses many works of Dali, Kandinsky and Picasso, including his masterpiece, Guernica.

We had a big lunch and some had churros and chocolate, a traditional Spanish treat. Others ate dinner on their meanderings back to the hotel. We're now gathered in the hotel, writing a thank you card for Alejandra, our tour director. Tonight, we have to pack suitcases, take showers and enjoy the last of this beautiful hotel in Madrid.

Tomorrow, we're up at 6, breakfast at 7, out of the hotel at 8am. We'll go by coach to the Madrid Airport, to fly home. It's been a life-changing trip, to come to Europe. All photos will soon be posted to a snapfish account, as follows: www.snapfish.com, email: gracekellermeier@hotmail.com, password: 10thst

Your loved ones will be home, shortly. Au revoir & adios.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb