Lanes, trains and higher planes


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
August 31st 2012
Published: September 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was a day of wandering the lanes of the Barri Gotic, navigating the underground lanes of the metro system and contemplating the ongoing project that is the La Sagrada Familia.

Dave and I are on differing morning time zones, so while he went off on mission de Phoenix, my leisurely start found me in a small leafy park ‘phoning home’! It was lovely to hear my loved one’s voices and somehow the experience of speaking on a mobile was transformed from the everyday to a slightly heightened experience! We had lined up in the La Ramblas Vodaphone store to buy 2 prepaid micro-sims the other night with a numbered ticket to speak with a salesperson and I was just praying that their English was going to be better than my Spanish! Thankfully it was and we muddled through. There was a point when Midnight Oil came onto the sound system and I indicated that this was an Australian Band… The young woman beamed and said “Internationale musica! Bueno!” and then we went on with our transaction with ease! Thanks Oils!

After a wander through the Barri Gotic taking in the street art (I found a couple of great female pieces with a retro Spanish vibe) and the amazing stone masonry of the Roman buildings I finally met up with Wigs in Placa de Sant Jaume, site of the Roman forum and central regional government centre of the city. From there we found our way to a quaint Chai Tea House tucked into a long cavernous space full of comfy chairs and little lamp lit tables. The smell and taste of the exotic spices, tea and honey was just gorgeous!

Energised we decided to locate a Caixia Servico machine and get our tickets to see the La Sagrada Familia - a Basilica designed and kicked of by Gaudi and still under construction after 100 years!

We found a machine (in a quiet bank foyer where you can take your time unlike those in the street where you feel under super pressure to be quick!)

These are extremely cool machines that dispense money and all tickets to attractions around the country. As well as get our Sagrada tickets in the tie zone we wanted we also managed to get the tickets I had booked online in Melbourne to see the Alhambra when we are in Granada. Gotta love a ticket machine win!

Feeling very pleased with ourselves we took some time out in El Viejo Pop – a movie poster lined restaurant that offered a free Sangria with every main lunch meal! Say no more – we were in! The Sangria was delicious, cool and sweet and a perfect companion for the garlic prawns, paella and salad. It was great fun deciphering the movie titles in Spanish – ‘Some like it Hot’ and ‘Where were you in ’62?’ From American Graffiti were two we managed. This was the kind of place you could spend quite a few hours just whiling away the afternoon but we were on a mission to get to the other side of town via the subway by 3 so we had to vamos pronto.

The metro subway system here is just amazing and we have had a great time on out 10 trip pass zipping around under the city. Each line is color-coded and has an intuitive feel to it so that with a simple map you can get around with ease. We made our way on the purple line and then up back into the day to the site of the Familia Sagrada. You come up the stairs from the station to a normal streetscape and then turn around to the sight of this incredible sculptural building towering above you. As the guidebooks all say it is a collective vision, started by Gaudi in 1883 it is still under construction and will not be completed until 2040. The styles are extremely eclectic with angular sculptures decorating more fluid architectural forms – I did not find the exterior was always successful in creating a cohesive vision the but inside is quite beautiful- the diffuse light and soaring columns rise up into a canopy of palm like fronds and you can see that the entire building is indeed a poem of spiritual devotion. The audio tour took about 2 hours and we were really flagging so we went across and sat in a park and ate ice cream and watched kids blowing big bubbles and listened to all the languages being spoken by people walking by.

And so we made our way back and literally collapsed at about 7pm after the obligatory shot of Uncle Jimmy and some pistachios and then we both woke up at …3am! OMG! We forgot to have dinner again! We haven’t had one evening meal here since we arrived! Wigs has been out at night doing Phoenix business but not little ole me! Nup! First chance to visit an international city in 30 years and I am in bed by 9 at the latest! Geez Louise! I swear I am going to pace myself today and make it to dinnertime!

Needless to say Wigs was up and at ‘em at 3.30am and came down and did art in the foyer until I met him at 7am for breakfast. He has just bounced off to the University district to find a photocopier – as you do…

I took a ‘secret squirrel’ look around the hotel and found a huge ballroom with massive paintings of Spanish ladies that was flooded with shards of light. I don’t think the photo does it justice. This place is just extraordinary – the décor is mind-boggling but we feel a bit out of place with the rest of the coiffed clientele. I have enjoyed a bit of auditory voyeurism listening to Clarice and Vonda and Conrad from Florida discussing their plans for the day as I type this. ‘Clarice: Sweet
Roman wallRoman wallRoman wall

Masonry Kunst
heart we just have to shop today because tomorrow everything is closed! Vonda: No way! Clarice: Yes Way! Conrad chips in -Did you gals know the tourist bus goes in 3 different directions! Clarice and Vonda in unison: You dawn't say?’

There is so much to do here and today is our last day in Barcelona before we make our way north by train tomorrow to Girona to begin our week-long bike tour of the Costa Brava and Catalonia. Luckily we are back here for 2 more full days on our way home in early October. I hardly feel I have touched the sides of this fascinating city…after I post this and the Wigs comes back (I hope he comes back because he does love a photocopier in quite an obsessive way) we will head off for some more art and sites…and hopefully make it until dinner time! Really – I’m serious this time! Until then Hasta luego chicos y chicas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



1st September 2012

I learnt a new word today...
I feel much fernweh for barcelona after reading your post. :) (fernweh: to be homesick for a place that's not your home)...
2nd September 2012

farnwah -now that's a concept!
Even as we passed through stations on the train to Girona this afternoon I felt a pull to get off at places on the way...everywhere is a potential destination!
2nd September 2012

farnwah -now that's a concept!
Even as we passed through stations on the train to Girona this afternoon I felt a pull to get off at places on the way...everywhere is a potential destination!
1st September 2012

Hi L&D Reading your post makes me wish I was back in Barcelona again..right now. Caixia Servico machine ..didn\'t discover this or the Metro when I was there a couple of years ago or get to see the inside of La Sagrada Familia ..Friends had told us about a fabulous restaurant near by and that was as far as we got! \"Wigs has been out at night doing Phoenix business\"...must get to meet Wigs one day and find out what he does with Phoneixs. Enjoy the next stage bike riding of the faboulous trip you are on Cheers Maree
2nd September 2012

On the road again
Thanks Maree - arrived in Girona and off on the bikes tomorrow- tis grand!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb