Barca


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
July 11th 2006
Published: July 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Barcelona, or Barca as some of the aussies are wont to say was an eye opening introduction to Spain. When we arrived the hostel we booked at didnt have our booking! Well so i thought from the little english the receptionist had and the non-existant spanish i had. So needless to say we were a bit panicked that we would be sleeping in the street with the other bums. But luckily, oh so luckily a woman who was looking for people to stay in her apartment saw us waiting outside the hostel and helped us out. It turned out that she usually books her apartment out to people at 150 euros a night, but for some reason she had no people in it that week and was willing to give it to us for 50 a night. I thought it was a bit dodgy at first but she seemed very nice, the apartment was gorgeous and the deal was done. It was right on La Rambla, one of the main pedestrian boulevards in Barcelona, and was close to everything, it was absolutely fantastic. Lauren had hurt her ankle in the Cinque Terre so was resting up, but i managed to fit in a few sights. Barcelona is a city filled with modernist buildings, many by Antonio Gaudi, one of the formost modernist architects of his time. I must say i was in heaven as i have studied him and his work at uni, and it was so cool to see it in the flesh so to speak. La Sagrada Familia is probably his most famous work, a fantastical cathedral that is one of the only cathedrals in europe still being worked on. Another famous work is Park Guell. Barcelona had so much to see though that i only saw a small portion of what it had to offer. Lots of parks, beaches, museums everything. And the best seafood paella i have come accross yet!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



12th July 2006

Gee whiz Sara
Your holiday looks fantastic. When you were telling me about it i didnt realise how long you would be travelling for. It seems like you are having heaps of fun. I dont think you are missing out on much here, it has been pretty cold recently, but it is only going to get worse. Keep the posts coming, I cant believe how many different places you are going in such a quick time. Tenga un gran rato! (I hope that makes sense)

Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb