Barcelona on Acid???


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
December 29th 2010
Published: December 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We finally woke up to the alarm and did not shut it off and go back to sleep. We arrived at the Sagrada Familia at 9:00 a.m. We picked up our audioguides and headed inside for the audio tour. I thought it was an architectural wonder...Margaret thought it was an amazing piece of work yet was not as inspired by it. The outside facades held a lot of symbolism. One facade represented the Nativity and the other facade represented the Crucifixion. A third facade called the "Glory" is not yet done. No one knows what that facade will look like because Gaudi did not leave plans for that facade. After the tour, we boarded the "Blue" line of the Barcelona Bus Turistic, a double deck bus with the top deck open. We took the bus to the stop for Parc Guell. Before walking the long hike uphill, we sought refreshments at a very small cafe. I had bocadillo while Margaret had a cup of hot tea and a croissant. Off to the park! Guell was cool! It was a multilevel, psychedelic acid trip! 😊 It had cool mosaic animal fountains, mosaic buildings and on the top level, there was a circular, wavy mosaic bench that was quite comfortable to sit on. After walking around a bit,we headed back and boarded the bus once again. I asked Margaret if we could sit on top and she abliged but she also got quite cold doing so. Our next stop was the MACBA - Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona. Needless to say, it sucked. After two floors, we skipped the rest and headed back to Placa de Catalunya and caught the "Red" line of the Barcelona Bus Tourista. This line took us up to Montjuic and took us past the many sites and stadiums where the 1992 Olympics were held. At our last stop of the day, we visited the very beautiful Museu Nacional d'Art Catalunya. It is located very high up on a hill overlooking the metroploitan region of Barcelona. The museum itself houses art from over a one thousand year period including Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque. We exhausted ourselves looking at all the artwork so we then headed back to the bus, stopped for a quick bite to eat and then back to the hotel to collapse. Final count...7.56 miles walked today!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb