Barcelona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
December 12th 2010
Published: December 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Two of my last layovers were Barcelona, where the famous architect Antoni Gudi lived and worked. Most of his work dates back from the late 1800’s – 1900’s. His work was mostly inspired by nature and his work is an excellent example of Art Nouveau.

- Park Guell
This park is an UNESCO World Heritage Site and was created by Antoni Gaudi between 1900 and 1914. It is skillfully designed and composed to bring peace and calm.

- Lamp posts
This was one of his first works for the city of Barcelona in 1878–1879.

- Casa Mila (La Pedrera)
This apartment building was built during 1906 – 1910 and is an UNESCO World Heritage Site. The building does not use load-bearing walls, but rest on pillars and arches. Together with the use of steel this allowed the architect to create completely irregular floor plans.
In order to allow light in all the Balcony rooms, the apartments are arranged around two central courtyards.

- Casa Batllo
Just down the street from Casa Mila one will find the colourful Casa Batllo. This building was restored by Gaudi during 1904 – 1906. The local name for the building is Casa dels ossos (House of Bones), as it does have a skeletal organic look to it. Most of the building is decorated by colourful mosaic and one cannot stop staring at the beauty before you. As the time caught up with us we did not manage to go up in the building to look at the colourful chimneys.

- Sagrada Familia
This Roman Catholic Church is an UNESCO World Heritage Site. This church has been under construction since 1882 until today and the completion is anticipated in 2026 because of its complicated design. The completed design will have 18 towers: 12 for the Twelve Apostles, 4 for the four Evangelists, one for Virgin Mary and, tallest one of them all for Jesus Christ.

Hope you find Antoni Gaudi’s work as interesting and inspiring as me, it was a dream come true seeing his creations.



Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb