"This country smellses like roses"


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
November 19th 2007
Published: November 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

photos from Barcelona.

and now, on to Madrid...


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

MmmmmmMmmmmm
Mmmmmm

We came here every day for fruit, nuts and fresh juices.
Oh....that's it?Oh....that's it?
Oh....that's it?

MC, Meg and Chris check out the scaffolding that covers the Palau Guell. Turns out most of Barcelona is being rennovated right now--so much for catching it in the off season. Also, Chris is a giant and we are mere midgets in his shadow.
Raging in BarcelonaRaging in Barcelona
Raging in Barcelona

Our first night of dancing was not so successful: an absurd cover charge for a club that allegedly played hip-hop but really played r&b and old hip-hop-pop. Eventually the DJ wised-up and played "Stronger" by Kanye, and the joy that we felt in this moment is evident in Meg's face.
This church will be beautifulThis church will be beautiful
This church will be beautiful

when it is eventually finished
Natural lightNatural light
Natural light

..and you are supposed to note something about the shape of the windows but honestly I don't remember; the audio tour wasn't entirely clear.
Artist's workshopArtist's workshop
Artist's workshop

Because the church is a work in progress, a major part of the museum is actually a functional workshop. You are supposed to be able to see artisans at work molding and re-creating plaster models of three scales to help with the church construction, but they were apparently on holiday.
Gaudi's modelsGaudi's models
Gaudi's models

Gaudi invented his own way of building a model out of ropes and suspended sand bags filled with gun pellets so that he could test the support system of the proposed church. The weights were added proportionally to ropes hung from a flat surface, then Gaudi took a photo of the structure and inverted it to get an idea of how the structure would look and function in real life. Don't worry. We don't really understand it either.
Grumpy faceGrumpy face
Grumpy face

On our second night we ended up at a strip of skeezy clubs on the marina. We were in search of hip-hop, and found clubs packed with mostly the 35 and up crowd playing Euro dance, Spanish pop, and the occassional Rihanna shout-out. Most clubs had un-talented and bored-looking pole dancers and crappy DJs, so we spent most of the night walking up and down the strip in search of a good song here or there.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb