Barcelona - pickpockets - drag heist - single gentleman!!!!!!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
October 7th 2023
Published: October 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Sagreda FamiliaSagreda FamiliaSagreda Familia

How amazing is this building!!!
So we get to Barcelona and there is supposed to be a private taxi waiting for us - well this seems to be a recurring issue in our travels as once again we could not find a man with our name on. However, after pacing and pacing I see Fairbairn name on a really well dressed gentleman’s board. So we follow him and get into the lift and these two ladies follow us in and the gentleman with us said watch yourselves, so now I am thinking we are going to be murdered. But no, they were pickpockets and had managed to open Mike’s man bag (we will talk about that one later!) but fortunately for us the top thing in Mike’s bag was his inhaler and tablets - so all I can say is it pays to travel with an old geezer, ha ha. Now why have I written this as I know he spell checks for me so I could be in the corridor in the hotel tonight. So guess what is there to collect us, only a Mercedes, YES a black Mercedes, so I am thinking are we going to be taken not to the hotel but to a drugs heist. Anyway you will all be pleased to know he actually was a nice gentleman and took us straight to the hotel. Now wouldn’t my blog have been interesting if it was a drugs heist/cartel - sorry but you know me I will end up in a sticky situation in the next 9 days.



So after arriving safely in Barcelona yesterday we decided, that is Rachel, Andrew, Mike and myself, to go to Sagrada Familia (the spectacular unfinished Barcelona Cathedral), thinking you can just rock up and pay to get in - well number one, I should remember to always check because that was pre-covid times and nowadays you cannot just rock up to most places, you need to book on line. Number two big mistake is that they only let a limited number of people in and we would have needed to book at least 5 days ago to get in. If honest, it is so amazing from the outside that yes a little disappointed could not get in but at least I saw the progress they have made since I was last in Barcelona.



We then found an amazing traditional Spanish tapas bar near the hotel so had a lovely evening meal. As a control freak, I am then thinking we need to book Gaudi’s apartment - which is called Casa Mila La Pedrera - for tomorrow which I have been to before but as Andrew had not it is a must if you ever visit Barcelona. Anyway Rachel, Andrew and Mike are all in agreement and we book for Saturday and this time we were lucky and booked at the time we wanted. Well this is the second time I am legal in saying I am a senior and 65. Does not quite feel the same as thinking I have got a bargain when I said I was 65 when I was not - hang on there I have just thought this through, no one challenged me that I said I was a senior and was not - so here I am thinking I have outwitted them and then I realise they did not challenge so I must have looked a senior - so for 5 years now I have been duped, they should have been asking for proof not just taking my word for it!!!!



So up early and off in a taxi to Gaudi’s apartment. Now as Andrew has a bad leg we are split up, Rachel and Andrew in the lift and Mike and Paula walking up the stairs - I don’t think Barcelona has heard of Princess Paula yet - must have a word with William and Kate about this. Anyway we all meet in the apartment and then Rachel and Andrew are taken, yes again, in the lift whilst Mike and I walk once again up the stairs. I wish William and Kate would look at their text messages quicker to explain they have princess Paula in the house!! This time we miss meeting up so we go our own way and decide to meet them at the exit. In the meantime Andrew is given a wheelchair which was to Rachel’s delight until she found out she had to push the wheelchair - so not a happy Rachel met us at the exit - to which Rachel says “I don’t push wheel chairs” so it looks like there are two princesses in the house!!



We are picked up by the same black Mercedes to take us to the next part of our voyage and the same driver is there so I am happy we will be going to the port to pick up the boat - oops if Eric a friend is reading this he will be shouting at me, I have told you that is a ship not a boat!



Well this is another world we have entered and we are escorted onto the Ship (see I do learn it just takes time Eric). We are then taken up to have lunch which was amazing, this is one hell of a ship is all I can say. Whilst having lunch I could not believe it but this lady had one of the waiters carrying her handbag - YES you heard it right carrying her handbag - well that takes the biscuit is all I can say. Then I think who carries her bag when she gets off the ship (get a grip comes to mind). Anyway myself and Rachel have decided they must be American and Texan (no conscious bias there then) so we are going to make it our mission (don’t think it will be impossible) to find out, so watch this space.



Well you are not going to believe this but I see this elderly gentleman in the lift, very smartly dressed, and he has a badge “gentleman host” so I ask him what this means. He tells me that the company has a programme to look after single ladies on board. Before I know it we get to our floor so I cannot find out more but in my head does that mean they have “special services” on the ship - I now know I have to find him and find out what he does as a “gentleman host”. Another challenge for me to find out dun dun duuuuun watch this space.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb