Barcelona (Part 2) - a bit Gaudi, isn't it?!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona » Barcelona
May 16th 2011
Published: June 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It's hard to write about Barcelona without feeling a strong desire to return to the city! We made our way around using the metro system and spent a lot of time walking. Some people prefer to take the tourist red bus that hops from sight to sight!!

So, what's so special about Barcelona? The people, the tapas, the wine, everything really! We enjoyed Parque Guell with it's Gaudi architecture but we would probably have enjoyed it more with a few less visitors around. We also loved Parque Montjuic with its funicular and cable cars to reach the summit. The walk back down was lovely and we were so pleased we founnd our way to the National Art Museum. It's free just to go in and see the building's marvellous interior, but you have to pay to see any of the exhibits. They have provided very comfortable sofas to rest your weary legs as you stare up at the beautifully decorated cupula!

Our access to Plaza Espanya was somewhat restricted by a Motor Show. We managed to make our way around it and were amazed by Las Arenas shopping centre in the old bull ring. Walking around the outside of the upper level was breathtaking.

We also enjoyed seeing Gaudi's oddly decorated buildings from the outside as we didn't want to pay the ridiculous prices to go in. Our money was far better spent in the tapas bars!

Barcelona is a city we will definitely return to. Watch this space!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



11th June 2011

We have not made it to Barcelona yet
Your blog makes us want to go. Loved the headless man photo--you've really captured the spirit of things. Loved wandering through the streets and finding the hidden gems of a city. Can't wait to read more.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb