Toledo is Magical


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Toledo
July 28th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Local ColorLocal ColorLocal Color

Outside the Alcazar
The taxi driver who picked me up from the train sation said that for every Toledo native there are ten tourists. It is a little city for sure; a big change from Barcelona. Ancient too. It kind of feels like you stepped into a little kid's vision of some medievil kingdom. I read somewhere that its considered to be an open air museum and it kind of feels like that; like you're actually inside of an exhibit.

The synagogues, the mosques, and the cathedrals are all on top of each other. Islamic architecture seems to be the overriding force though. Because of this, the public squares are few and small. The homes have central courtyards used for entertaining and people spend less time in the streets.

On my second day I met a guy who said that this season is painfully short of tourists. For whatever reason, the streets are pretty quiet and the cafes are mostly empty. I had the whole town to myself and got to meet a lot of locals.

Last night was also the night of my 10-year reunion and, for a small second, I was wondering what I was doing in Toledo. It
RespectRespectRespect

I love this photo. Just outside the cathedral square.
didn't last long though. I love it here. I was lucky enough to have an impromptu mini-reunion in March, so most of my reunion desires are sated. Val just sent me pics of the big night too. I don't feel like I missed out too badly (other than seeing Geoff K. vogue). Happy Reunion to all the Midwest City Bombers- especially Trevor, Patrick, Gina, Scott, &, of course, Val.

XOXO- Joy


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

CelebrationCelebration
Celebration

There was a big wedding at the Cathedral. The narrow streets were filled with people and confetti.
Creepy doll nuns making marzipanCreepy doll nuns making marzipan
Creepy doll nuns making marzipan

There's a convent nearby where the nuns make and sell marzipan. Everyone in Toledo sells Marzipan, but the nuns seem to be the most agressive salespeople.
Nuns at WorkNuns at Work
Nuns at Work

They are tireless when it comes to sweets.
Iglesia de JesusIglesia de Jesus
Iglesia de Jesus

Up in the belltower, with 360 degree views of Toledo.
Outside the CathedralOutside the Cathedral
Outside the Cathedral

Every evening, these kids get together outside the main cathedral for soccer practice.
Restaurant 24Restaurant 24
Restaurant 24

Manchego Cheese, Deer Meat, Jamon Serrano, and Pate
CervantesCervantes
Cervantes

Just outside the Plaza Zocodovar
Gallego PrideGallego Pride
Gallego Pride

Gallegos are the Texans of Spain.
Peasent FoodPeasent Food
Peasent Food

The food here in Toledo is much richer and warmer than anything I had in Barcelona. Simple ingredients prepared well that taste yummy.
Server's RecommendationServer's Recommendation
Server's Recommendation

I asked him what he thought was the best choice on the mnue del dia and he came out with this dish- eggs, shrimp, garlic, and green beans. It was delicious.
Holy ToledoHoly Toledo
Holy Toledo

The local architecture is influenced by Christianity, Muslim, and Judaism. For many years, the three existed in harmony here.
Toledo SurroundedToledo Surrounded
Toledo Surrounded

Toledo is surrounded on three sides by the Rio Tajo, pictured here.
Calle CommercioCalle Commercio
Calle Commercio

The main street that takes you from Plaza Zocodover to the Cathedral. Lots of shopping and people-watching here.
El GrecoEl Greco
El Greco

You aren't supposed to take a picture of this, but I didn't know until it was too late so why waste the shot. "The Burial of Count Orgaz" from the Catedral Tome, pictured here, is considered to be his best known work.
PerdizPerdiz
Perdiz

Partridge is a big deal here. I loved it!
Segways, segways, everywhereSegways, segways, everywhere
Segways, segways, everywhere

Not just in Toledo. I saw these for rent in Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia. $20 an hour for a 15 minute ride. Toledo's streets are narrow and bumpy, so this actually makes some sense here.


9th September 2007

I would have rather watched the creepy nuns make marzipan with you than go the the reunion.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb