Have we really had that much rain in one day.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
April 17th 2011
Published: April 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We are making steady headway in putting together the furniture delivered from Ikea before we went to the UK.
This morning we left home at about 8am to go to the market in Los Christianos.
We both commented on how warm it looked before we left, so shorts and t-shirts it was.
Whilst we were waiting at our usual bus stop on the motorway, the sky became very cloudy.
We got to the market at about 9am and noticed that there did not appear to be many people around. On speaking to some of the stall holders, apparently there is a storm on its way, but no-one appears to know when it will hit.
We had a good look around the market, but did not buy anything. We then walked upto the port as we are looking to take a day trip to Gran Canaria at some point in the future.
From there we took a slow walk into Las Americas as we were planning Sunday lunch at our favourite restaurant – Surfers Bar.
About half way there we felt a few spots of rain, but nothing too drastic.
When we were about 100 yards away from the bar, it started raining heavier and heavier, and we had to walk fast to avoid getting too wet – remember we are only dressed for the summer weather. In this bar, they even give out towels to rescue drowned tourists.
Had an earlier than planned lunch during which time the heavens opened. We have never seen rain like this in Tenerife.
The very heavy rain continued for a good 3-4 hours. We watched as the associated heavy waves moved rocks in the sea and moved sun beds on the beach, and also the associated panic move of the beds so that they did not get washed away.
After about 4 hours the rain lulled and we decided to make a run for it. We had thought that this might be one of the occasions where we would treat ourselves to a taxi home, but the queues were just crazy, so we continued to the bus stop and came home the normal way. We were actually in Surfers for almost four hours, long enough to await the delightfully delicious freshly cooked apple and rhubarb crumble.
Thankfully the rain was only a dribble all the way home, but shortly after arriving home, the heavens opened again and stayed that way for most of the rest of the day.
Everything is now literally swimming, as Tenerife is not used to this amount of rain. What we have had today is more than Tenerife would normally get in one year. Even the swimming pools are overflowing.
There are funnels of rain pouring down mountains and down the side of all roads. There is also rock debris along side a lot of the roads, where it has come down from the mountains. We may have had one wet day, but even with the clouds, we have caught the sun pretty well.
What an unusual day today has been. Really gutted to hear that UK has been really hot today though.
Already have 3 sets of UK visitors now booked in to come and see us. We look forward to your visits.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb