Gallotia Galloti - Western Canaries Lizard


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Tenerife
April 21st 2011
Published: April 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Since Sunday, the weather here has not been as good as you would expect for this time of year. Looks like the UK weather is better at the moment.
This morning we woke to a clear blue sky all around.
Went by local Titsa bus to Torviscas market this morning and managed to get the bath towels that we have been looking for and saved ourselves 7 Euros off the normal tourist price. It’s completely normal to barter for the best deal.

When we left England, Michael and Carol bought us some Giraffe ornaments for the new apartment. They stand about 13 inches tall. A couple of weeks ago, we spotted a matching Giraffe that stands about 4 foot tall. We could obviously not get it home on the bus. George has already named it ‘George’ although we have not yet managed to negotiate the right price for it. He should be in place for when our first guests arrive in May.

Had a nice leisurely breakfast and walk along the beach.

At one point we noticed a crowd gathering around a rocky area. It looked like a lizard colony.
Small lizards about 5 inches long are common in the Canaries. They love to bask in the sun, but scurry away when you pass by. They are partial to local ripe bananas. There are acres and acres of banana plantations on the Island. Probably because of the lack of sun recently, this area of rock was covered in lizards. Some of them were twice the size that we would normally expect to see. One of the tourists was feeding them banana which they appeared to like.

Carried on walking and had a small lunch at Surfers Restaurant then caught the bus home. Had another lazy afternoon at home.

We are busy at the moment planning our next overseas trip. We have 2 free weeks time share and around 46 weeks in the Caribbean to utilise. Will it be flying or cruising. Research is well under way.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb