Celestial Canary Islands cruise - Day 5 Lanzarote


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Lanzarote
January 30th 2023
Published: January 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 - Lanzarote

We have been to Lanzarote several times and have enjoyed Timanfaya National Park, the Cactus Gardens & much more so is was nice to see something different on our complimentary panoramic tour this morning.



We docked at Arrecife around 7.30am. Plenty of time to enjoy breakfast before our tour departed at 9.30.

Travelling inland our first stop was Teguise, the islands oldest capital that was founded in the 15th century by the Conquistadors.



The sun was popping out from behind the clouds making the whitewashed houses sparkle.



The church was founded in the first half of the 16th century, it was originally a simple construction, with no windows and with only stone seats, built into the walls.

Thanks to its age, it has borne witness to much of Teguise’s long history of looting, arson and violence. Having been consolidated with three naves since the 18th century, it was once again set fire to in 1909, and promptly rebuilt thanks to public donations.

This is Lanzarote’s principal church and one of the most important in the entire region.



A statue of a man playing a tambourine represents Canarian folklore of poetry and music.



We left Teguise continuing our drive through the arid countryside with volcanic mountains all around until we reached Caleta Famara Beach which Lanzarote artist Cesar Manrique frequented as a child.



Over the sand dunes and volcanic rocks I made it to the shoreline, got wet feet when a wave crept up on me my whilst having my photo taken LOL. It was sunny so they soon dried off.



By now the sun was shining down on us, it would have been nice to stay a while longer but our next stop was calling - Monumento al Campensino (Peasants, Monument - 59 feet high and created by Manrique in 1968 as a tribute to the work of the island’s peasant farmers who have been able to grow their crops in a land where water is scarce.

An interesting open museum, would have liked a bit longer here!

Fascinating to hear how the volcanic rock dust put back onto the soil makes it accessible to plant roots as soon as they make contact with it. As the rock continues to break down, additional nutrients are made available, guaranteeing them a consistent supply of nutrients.



We do not leave Arrecife until 8pm so plenty of time to have a relaxing afternoon.



In several of our Ports of Call there are complimentary excursions listed as Panoramic/Easy which we enjoy, we leave the strenuous tours for those with more mobility but we do have a couple of tours booked that are not listed as Panoramic/Easy so watch this space.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement








Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb