Pinch what??


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
July 31st 2014
Published: August 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

San Sebastián is a seaside town in the north west side of Spain and it's well known for the many Michelin starred restaurants there. Spain is also renowned for its tapas. The tapas in San Sebastián is called pintxos (pronounced pin-chos) and it's great fun!

My guest blogger Jennie writes:

We really enjoyed our two night stay at San Sebastián (or Donostia). We didn't eat at a Michelin starred restaurant as the pintxos were just so damn good! Going out for pintxos in the Old Town was definitely a highlight.

We walked through the old town on our way up to Mount Urgull and stopped for lunch at one of the many bars on the way back down - remember the more serviettes littering the floor the better the pintxos, and you are expected to bar hop!

We would have liked to go up to Monte Igueldo on the100 year old funicular but ran out of time (and puff)!

El Concho beach is a popular San Sebastian beach, but it's not like our beaches at home. It was really cramped and not very clean as the boys discovered when they were waist deep in the water, but it's great for people watching from the esplanade above.

The shopping is good at the pedestrianised Calle Loiola, which runs north from the Catedral del Buen Pastor.

The Alderdi Eder gardens on El Concho bay are pretty to walk through on the way to the Old Town, the park has a beautiful two level merry-go-round.

Thanks Jen!

We detoured to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim on route to Barcelona, but due to the large crowds and us not pre booking tickets we didn't get to see inside, (another time), but there are some outside pics of this iconic building.

As we make our way across Spain to Barcelona - we had a two unplanned days/nights, just to see where we end up. Zaragoza is about half way between San Sebastián and Barcelona - after Sanremo we were a little nervous, but this stop and accommodation turned out to be great, Zaragoza is a great place with a beautiful basilica (it's Europe, it's what they do!).

Something to remember, in parts of Spain they pronounce the 's' sound as a 'th' - now try saying San Sebastián, Zaragoza and Barcelona😊). Everyone speaks with a
PuppyPuppyPuppy

Guggenheim Bilbao
lithp😊))

It felt like we had walked all over Europe, so we didn't do too much in Zaragoza - but we did find some great tapas bars! In this part of Spain it's mainly called tapas, or pinchos (spelled differently to San Sebastián). It was here we discovered patatas bravas YUM!!!! They're like fried baby chat potatoes with a spicey tomato cheesey sauce! YUM!!!! YUM!!! We also had mouth-wateringly delicious pork and peppers (capsicum) and a salad that we thought had beetroot which in fact was a blood plum...tasty! The sangria was also pretty good here and it can be mixed with Cava ( Spanish champagne).


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

What we really hadWhat we really had
What we really had

Guess who had what


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb